Gravel Driveway

/ Gravel Driveway #1  

WC Haire

Tractor
Farmall M
I need to put some type of edge on my gravel driveway. It's about 1200 feet then about a 50 x 75 area that I wanna do, so looking to stay cheap. Was thinking of burying railroad ties on each side to make the tops about ground level. Then fill in with crush and run. Anybody got any other ideas?

/ Gravel Driveway #2  
Just my opinion, but it seems like anything you put down will frost heave and be all over the place. I'm not sure where you are located at or if frost would be a problem in your area. 1200 feet would be a lot of railroad ties also.

/ Gravel Driveway #3  
I did this very thing to a parking area. The ties are holding my crushed limestone in place. Thing is the ties are heavy and I placed them with the FEL. I then pushed T posts in about half way and secured two per tie to keep the ties from floating off.

2400 linear feet is going to take a truck load of ties, but then you are going to need a lot of gravel as well.

/ Gravel Driveway #4  
No sure I completely understand why? If you make the tops of the ties level to the ground, they won’t be serving any purpose. And I sure wouldn’t be interested in being the one burying them.

/ Gravel Driveway #5  
I also don't understand the benefit of rail road ties and would not recommend the use. Think of years down the road and condition and maintenance of the ties. In my opinion, they will float around and you won't be as happy as your vision is today.

Next, I would not use fill or pit but only to get the base leveled, then crushed gravel on top. Don't mix pit and gravel or you will just being adding more gravel later. I also have a 1200 foot drive so have experience maintaining it.

/ Gravel Driveway
The burying the ties ground level was to make it easier to cut grass. The inside where the gravel is I would cut down. I have a backhoe for my 3 point hitch to bury the ties and a small bulldozer to cut down between them. If not railroad ties, what could I use. Frost and snow is not a problem, I live in SC.

/ Gravel Driveway #7  
If you are trying to do this cheap what is your budget? I have seen on Craig's list used railroad ties for $12-$15 which adds up in a hurry with 2400 feet of driveway edge. If you are trying not to mow gravel then I would just spray round up along the edge of the driveway to keep the grass out of the gravel.
Rick

/ Gravel Driveway #8  
I did this very thing for my driveway...several hundred feet and 16 feet wide.

Excavated doen the depth of the RR ties (laying flat and longitudinally).

Geotextile road fabric 16 feet wide for entire length.

RR ties in the excavation along each edge with top of ties even with pre-existing grade.

50% 3-4 inch base shale, followed by 50% road mix gravel (3/4 minus)

Works excellent, drains well, no hydraulic mud pumping, and the ties make a good guide for maintaining proper snowplow height.

/ Gravel Driveway #9  
Also, we get -10 to -40 temps and frost heave has zero effect upon this, in an area where the same conditions lifts an eight inch thick sixty foot long concrete apron.

/ Gravel Driveway #10  
Forgot to mention that I also drilled holes in each tie, and drove 3 foot of 1/2 inch rebar through each tie (2 lengths per tie) flush with the tie to anchor them.