Water pressure pump question

/ Water pressure pump question #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
My well pump fills my storage tank. From there, i have a booster pump, and pressure tank, to supply the house water flow.

A week ago, I had some issues with the pressure switch for the booster pump, had frozen, and the gauge had ruptured. I heated the plumbing to the awitch to get it functioning, and made some adjustments (big mistake) to the on-off settings, in order to get it to come on quicker. The temp was in the low twenties and my wife had gotten me out of bed before sunup to get some water pressure so she could shower, so I was in a bit of a hurry to get it running....

Now to my issue. Everything is working now, but when I turn the faucet on high, the water comes in very rapid pulses, probably 3-5 per second. It never did that before, so what has changed, ideas?

/ Water pressure pump question #2  
Check your pressure tank. I would guess that it is having issues.
If you turn off the pressure pump and turn on a faucet, how long does the water run for? If it tapers right off, the pressure tank isnt doing its job.

Aaron Z

/ Water pressure pump question #3  
My well pump fills my storage tank. From there, i have a booster pump, and pressure tank, to supply the house water flow.

A week ago, I had some issues with the pressure switch for the booster pump, had frozen, and the gauge had ruptured. I heated the plumbing to the switch to get it functioning, and made some adjustments (big mistake) to the on-off settings, in order to get it to come on quicker. The temp was in the low twenties and my wife had gotten me out of bed before sunup to get some water pressure so she could shower, so I was in a bit of a hurry to get it running....

Now to my issue. Everything is working now, but when I turn the faucet on high, the water comes in very rapid pulses, probably 3-5 per second. It never did that before, so what has changed, ideas?

A water pressure switch is set at 20 pounds cut in and 40 pounds cut out from the factory where they are made.

I believe you set the cut in to close to the cut out pressure and that is why you are having the problem.

You may have some dirt trapped in the switch-it happens at the worst times

Just get a new switch and guage and install them gauge on the bronze tee. Be sure to install it using liquid pipe dope only.

/ Water pressure pump question #4  
might also be a water log issue as well..

/ Water pressure pump question #5  
might also be a water log issue as well..

Yep, most likely.
If it's a "captive air" tank, just turn the power off, open a faucet, then inflate the air bladder to the pressure marked on the tank. The air bladder is like a tire. Over time, it will lose pressure.

/ Water pressure pump question
Yep, most likely.
If it's a "captive air" tank, just turn the power off, open a faucet, then inflate the air bladder to the pressure marked on the tank. The air bladder is like a tire. Over time, it will lose pressure.

Sorry for the delay in reading the responses, forgot where I posted it:confused2:, kinda an age thing.

Thanks, it is a captive air system. Didn't know what to call it. Ok will check out the tank pressure tomorrow after church.

Leonz
I will check out the cut in and out pressures as well. I have since replaced the gauge so I will not be adjusting blindly this time. My pressure has to run at 60 or better. The county required built in fire suppression system (new build) demands min of 50 psi. In fact my pressure pump had to supply a min of 35gpm at 50psi to pass the county fire dept requirements. Folks that equals an $1100 :eek: pressure pump.

/ Water pressure pump question #7  
with the power off and water drained down.. measure the air in the bladder and then set according to your cut in switch pressure, minus a couple.. :)

soundguy