New Dairy

/ New Dairy
It is funny you say that..... It was an Austrian girl that got him to move to Austria after he met her during a ski trip.... But the thought of being a key part of the family business was to enticing and she had mo interest in coming here with him.. If it was not for him coming back, the company never would landed top honors for the most innovative dairy product of the year at the world dairy expo with his buttermilk.... Keep in mind, we are the only company in the US who is producing and selling a "REAL" buttermilk.

Glad some have enjoyed the thread. All the years of engineering and being innovative are paying off. Hard to believe that a business that started in the home we grew up has grown to the point where we are able to build a new home for it!

/ New Dairy #82  
Every great enterprise started small... quality and market positioning are key... sounds like you have those two wrapped up.

I guess I'm not surprised your brother's girlfriend decided to stay in Austria... I have hosted a few and have a lot of family in the area...

The last 20 years or so... not one would consider living in the United States permanently...

Don't get me wrong... they loved their time here... even treasured it and hope to come back often.

The deciding factor for all of them was life was easier back in Austria if you wanted to raise a family... My brother's former girlfriend who he met while climbing Mount Whitney is Austrian... he was very serious about her and in the end she felt America was just too difficult a place to try and raise a family... in her case... she was away from work for 6 years and her company had to hold her job for her for by law in Austria.

She was away on 2 year maternity leave and then became pregnant two times more... so a total of 6 years with something like 75% of her salary and 100% medical...

The other huge sticking point is even the lowliest apprentice starts with 5 weeks paid time off... they were shocked to learn there was no mandatory paid vacation by law in California...

It really is a different way of life and one that is hard to give up if you have been raised that way...

Keep innovating and bringing those century old traditions and I think there is no limit to your success... especially when the family is all on the same page!

/ New Dairy #83  
Glad some have enjoyed the thread. All the years of engineering and being innovative are paying off. Hard to believe that a business that started in the home we grew up has grown to the point where we are able to build a new home for it!

Just found your thread. Great barn, great company.

Wanted to say thanks for Kate's Butter! It's the only kind I buy (Unsalted :)).

I lived in Wells until 2006, but had no idea of your new barn project. Have to come visit some day, we have a son living in Springvale/Sanford.

/ New Dairy #84  
Been a while since last post. How's it going. Drove past this afternoon and looks like siding need sto be dona and it looked like you are starting to do some interior work. One of these times I'm gonna stop and snoop around.

/ New Dairy #85  
Our family business is Kate's Homemade Butter (Official Website of Kate's Homemade Butter). We will never be able to care for the head of cattle that we would need to supply our cream needs, but we will have a small herd of cattle to supply our R&D lab. Going in shortly after the main building is finished will be the milking parlor and cattle barn. We will then be able to bring raw milk into the plant and run it through our HTST pasteurizer.
I really enjoy your butter- the salt free- buy it whenever I'm in the store!