Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building
I plan to extend the back 6 feet to get my 36' total depth as per your suggestion. I haven't checked into the possibility of getting trusses with a 1' overhang on the front and a 7' overhand on the back, but it that proves difficult, I'll just get regular 30' trusses with 1' overhangs and extend the rear myself by lapping in 8' 2x6s (I think that will work anyway).

I plan to tie into the existing building by removing those green corner trim pieces and re-using them on the corners of the extension. I hope that will work. I then plan to screw/bolt on 4x4 pressure treated "receivers" on the corners of the existing building to attach short girders to. Of course that is all theory at this point, not sure how it will work in practice. The 6x6 posts closets to the existing building are setback 1.5" to hopefully allow me to accomplish this. The distance from the wall of the existing building to the closest edge of the 6x6 posts is 22".

Last edited:
I made some good progress on the pole barn extension to the existing shop.

Unloading the trusses

trusses-01.jpg

2x12 girders are up

polebarndig-37.jpg

After a lot a head scratching, I decided one of these would be the best way to set the trusses. At around 13k, it was a little more than what my trailer was designed to handle, but it made it.

boomlift-1.jpg

1st truss raised into position

boomlift-2.jpg

And the trusses are all set

trusses-1.jpg

Looking up from the inside

trusses-2.jpg

Detail of how I tied into existing building

trusses-3.jpg

Outside view

trusses-4.jpg

Next I'll add some bracing and then the roof next weekend I hope.

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #13  
Nice job getting the new to match up with the existing!

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #14  
Looks great! Your right the lift is the way to go,saves you lots of back ache.

Thanks. The lift sure did make it go a lot easier.

The next challenge was how to install the roof panels, especially the 24' long ones. Since I just got the loader for my new tractor, I decided to put on the pallet forks and build a 22' extension.

roofpanel-0.jpg

1st panel loaded

roofpanel-1.jpg

Different angle

roofpanel-2.jpg

It worked! 1st panel secured.

roofpanel-3.jpg

I did this by myself, it it was a pain to pull the panel up, get it aligned, and fastened. I hope to enlist a helper tomorrow. At least the hard part of lifting the long panels to the roof will be easy.

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #16  
You are THE MAN putting up the roof panels solo. I just helped from the ground while 4 guys put up and secured the panels on my new barn and was dreading one of them taking a nose dive off the roof. It is looking really nice :thumbsup:

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #17  
When I built my 30' wide barn I pulled the panels up alone, but they were only 17' long.

To get a nice straight bottom edge, I tacked a 1x3 to the tail of the first and last truss. Then measured out 1 inch more than I wanted the edge to be, cut a saw kerf and stretched a string kerf to kerf. I measured off the string 1 inch to the edge of the first panel and secured it. The next panel I put flush on the first panel where they overlap then measured off the string my 1 inch. This kept the bottom edge from running slightly up or down as I went across.

Nice progress. Plus all the tractor work (if you can call it that) putting the options on the new one.

/ Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #18  
Thanks. The lift sure did make it go a lot easier.

The next challenge was how to install the roof panels, especially the 24' long ones. Since I just got the loader for my new tractor, I decided to put on the pallet forks and build a 22' extension.

I did this by myself, it it was a pain to pull the panel up, get it aligned, and fastened. I hope to enlist a helper tomorrow. At least the hard part of lifting the long panels to the roof will be easy.

That is very clever, also probably a lot safer than a lot of the crazy things I've seen done to get long panels up.

I got all the 24' panels mounted. Turns out nice I think.

polebarnroof-2.jpg

I have started using the shelter already. :D

polebarnroof-3.jpg

My helper did miss with one of the fasteners. :mad:

polebarnroof-4.jpg

I'm wondering if the easiest fix would be to drive in another fastener at a slight angle to catch the 2x4 being that it barely missed?

Last edited:
   / Adding pole barn extension to existing metal building #20  
My helper did miss with one of the fasteners.
I'm wondering if the easiest fit would be to drive in another fastener at a slight angle to catch the 2x4 being that it barely missed?

When I'm not near a purlin I take the screw out, blob some clear silicon on, then run it in again so the silicon seals the hole and keeps it from backing out. I wouldn't run a screw in angled, the o-ring won't seal. You could tack on a small block next to that purlin, then run the screw in straight to catch the wood.