Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Default Re: fitting power assisted steering to w9

We did a similar refit on our old AC D grader at work. The steering box was shot so a friend redoing the blade robbed the steering valve and cylinder off an old hyster forklift. He used a flow divider to split the flow off the pump and lower it enough for the valve to handle. Works great. I have a a friend from Heathcote Victoria thats a saw miller. He just moved here to the states to stat a new business. I think his family does log home building.

Tractor
    ford 5610,case 5150,case 580c backhoe,inter td9,inter w9,white truck wc22, bedford tk.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylortractornut View Post
    We did a similar refit on our old AC D grader at work. The steering box was shot so a friend redoing the blade robbed the steering valve and cylinder off an old hyster forklift. He used a flow divider to split the flow off the pump and lower it enough for the valve to handle. Works great. I have a a friend from Heathcote Victoria thats a saw miller. He just moved here to the states to stat a new business. I think his family does log home building.
    I dont know the family but i have seen where they prepare all the logs as Heathcote is close to here ,15 minutes, actually in hindsight a flow divider might have been a simpler and cheaper method than the priority flow and pressure reducer as i have hoses and plumbing every where, but it still works, and that makes a huge difference.
    cheers.

Tractor
    Kubota B9200 HSTD and Allis 720

We had a W9 (actually I believe it was a WD9 Super Standard Diesel) on the farm as a kid growing up in the wheatfields of Kansas USA. I do remember plowing with the W9 and how wicked the steering was when hitting something like a plow furrow at the wrong angle. It would take your arm off if not careful! It was so hard to steer that Dad broke down and bought the power assist conversion kit and had it installed. The fact that Dad spent the money was a minor miracle in itself as money was very tight during the drought of the 50's. The conversion kit was definitely not a "finger steer" like todays tractor power steering but it did make it possible to steer the tractor. We pulled a 5-16 plow for a couple years and then reverted to a 4-16 which could be pulled in 3rd gear most of the time. (depending on how steep the hills were in that particular field)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12