fitting power assisted steering to w9

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #1  

interw9

Tractor
ford 5610,case 5150,case 580c backhoe,inter td9,inter w9,white truck wc22, bedford tk.
Hi i am a new member, and am looking forward to interacting with the sort of hobby, with our equipment, although every machine earns its keep on our farm, but mostly it is older, at the moment i am fitting power assisted steering to a inter W9 to make it more friendly with zetor ram a fendt tank and a live hyd pump from a newer inter tractor which i picked up from wreckers. we have a ford 5610, Case 580C backhoe, a TD9 ex us army with dozer setup, W9, and 2 Bedford trucks.
Michael

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #4  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Projects Forum.

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #5  
Looking at your personal info I see you list "victoria" as home! There is alot of places called victoria, are you in texas?

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9
Thanks for the welcome, my appologies, the Victoria i live in is in Australia.

In regard to the project of power steering, hydraulics is a whole new world and expensive at that, pressure relief valves, priority flow valves, i keep blowing seals on the live hydraulic pump and am struggling to find out why, am guessing some pressure build up is occurring but cannot determine why, the live hydraulic pump only supplies to power steering cylinder and 1 set of rear remotes,via a priority flow valve.

any experience suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Michael.

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #7  
Your pump is blowing seals??

Is there a pressure relief valve in the system? If so what is it's setting compared to the design pressures of the pump?:):)

The W9 was a very common Tractor in the area in which I grew up.:thumbsup:

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #8  
Are you sure you're turning the pump in the correct direction? If the area behind the shaft seal is connected to the pressure port instead of suction side it will blow the seal for sure.

I knew a neighbor who put a GM car power steering gear on his W9. It eventually broke. I think he hit a stump with a front wheel. W9 is a pretty heavy tractor.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
   / fitting power assisted steering to w9
thanks for the replies bigdeano and egon.

i have tried and checked your ideas, i have a priority valve with a relief to tank but i now think this was only for the priority so i put in an adjustable relief valve on the pressure straight after the pump, bingo 90% of problem fixed, thanks. Seal to the shaft on pumps still leaks a little, the pump is turning the correct way, i check at your suggestion, but this pump has 2 reliefs behind the shaft seal, one on in side and one on pressure side, i bought it second hand so it may have been altered, i might try blocking the pressure side as you suggest, because an older pump i have only has a relief on the in flow side.
But other than the slight leak now i have 1 finger steering when moving instead of armstrong steering, it is really power assist with a steering ram and actuator of a zetor 6911 i think, it is all pretty solid so hopefully wont break under the weight of this tractor, i use it for harrows, 20 disc plough and feedout to cattle, it is now much easier, except when it gets cold i go back to the cabin tractor.
There was an inter dealer north of us in the 40s and 50s so there is a few
wd9 and 6s and w9 and 6s around here but good engine parts are very hard to find i get them mostly from the US.
Anyway thanks for the help it was great.
Cheers michael.

/ fitting power assisted steering to w9 #10  
Glad you had some sucess.:)

The W4 to W9/WD9, John Deer's and Alis Chalmers were the popular tractors during the 1950's in the area in which I grew up.:)