pvc vs cpvc glue

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #1  

firemanpat2910

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 2910II
while in lowes yesterday my pops picked up a can of cpvc glue instead of pvc glue. The "ingrediants" all all the same except the last line, my question is..... Is there any real difference? will cpvc glue work on pvc? or do I have to throw it away? I have absolutely no need for cpvc.

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #2  
They're not interchangeable.
The only cement that works on multiple types is the transition cement that joins ABS to PVC.

Last edited:
   / pvc vs cpvc glue #3  
There is an all purpose cement for ABS,PVC and CPVC it's handy to have around.

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #5  
For drain lines, you can use just about anything. For water lines, under pressure, you risk failure when using glue.

PVC needs to have purple primer applied to soften and treat the PVC before applying clear PVC cement. The cement actuall melts or welds the piep and fitting together. Kind of like wood glue works. If you do it right, the pipe will break before the cement fails.

CPVC works the same way, but because it's rated for high temperatures, it requires a different cement to get the same results.

They are not interchangable. While you might get lucky for a period of time, you risk failure when the wrong product is used.

It's cheap. Don't take any chances. Do it right and never worry about it.

Eddie

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #6  
I recently had purple cleaner and only CPVC glue. I used it because I was repairing a sprinkler fitting. I would never use it for any pressurized line or particularly a PVC line inside a wall. As it turns out, right after I used the CPVC glue on my sprinkler, I went to put it away and there was my PVC cement. How did I miss it?:confused2: The real problem with these products is that the normal homeowner has a lifetime supply in a single small can. What do you do with 10 year old PVC cement? IF the can is rusty, I won't use it. I just go buy another fresh can. The old cans burn really well when dumped on the burn pile before lighting.:D

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #8  
Most of the glue has a date on the bottom..Some of it jells and then does not work. I always use fresh glue when working on my household piping. My home is is CPVC piping..

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #9  
What do you do with 10 year old PVC cement?
Try sticking something together you don't want stuck - it's bound to work :eek:
If it is still liquid I use it - if not it goes to the hazardous waste depot

/ pvc vs cpvc glue #10  
I recently had purple cleaner and only CPVC glue. I used it because I was repairing a sprinkler fitting. I would never use it for any pressurized line or particularly a PVC line inside a wall. As it turns out, right after I used the CPVC glue on my sprinkler, I went to put it away and there was my PVC cement. How did I miss it?:confused2: The real problem with these products is that the normal homeowner has a lifetime supply in a single small can. What do you do with 10 year old PVC cement? IF the can is rusty, I won't use it. I just go buy another fresh can. The old cans burn really well when dumped on the burn pile before lighting.:D

Jinman,
Try the blue Rain or Shine cement for pvc sprinkler pipe next time. It will work if the pipe is still wet, good for situations where it is difficult to get the water to completely stop dripping.

I use purple primer for most of the work but use the clear primer where it can damage or discolor new work. PVC traps under sinks are an example of a good use of the clear primer. Definately don't wan't to put a purple stain on anything inside a lady's new house.:)