wood or metal garage/shop

/ wood or metal garage/shop #1  

Anonymous Poster

This is such a great message board. I just found this board a few days ago and have been busy reading a lot of the posts in my spare time. I've also been especially interested in the pole barn discussions.

I am about to build my first building. I need a place for my woodworking hobby and a place for general storage. Instead of hiring someone to do it, I've decided that I would like to do it myself. I'm fairly handy and I know I could build a garage/workshop with a little help and advice now and then.

I've decided that a 24x24x9 would be an adequate size for now. I also plan to put a 10x24 lean to for my trailer, lawn mower, etc. This is my dilemma: I need to decide either to build my shop with a traditional stick frame, shingle roof, vinyl siding, slab foundation OR a pole barn structure with metal siding and roof. I've researched both and I think the pole barn type building will cost a little less, although I'm not overly concerned with price.

I also believe the pole barn would be easier to build for a novice like myself. The building will need to be insulated and will be heated in the winter. The insulation is not a huge factor since I live in north Alabama. I plan to finish the interior with OSB.

What I need to know is this, what type of insulation do I need to keep the building from sweating and getting my equipment wet or ruining my expensive wood?

It seems as though many of you have a lot of experience when it comes to construction and I would really appreciate your help and advice.

BTW, since this is a tractor message board, I'll be using a TC33D New Holland for grading work and possibly post hole digging for this building.

Thank you,
Shea H. , DC

/ wood or metal garage/shop #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is my dilemma: I need to decide either to build my shop with a traditional stick frame, shingle roof, vinyl siding, slab foundation OR a pole barn structure with metal siding and roof.)</font>

Shea: Why is this an either/or? My Pole Building combines a pole barn shell with a normally framed floor platform and stick-framed/insulated walls and ceiling for the shop section.

/ wood or metal garage/shop #4  
I'm on temporary hold.... My building is that is. Still waitiin' on the survey crew. I'm calling 5/5 to see if/when they are coming out. I'm beginning the busy time of year for my bluegrass season and I'm considering a fall start on my building. But if I win the lottery....didn't have a day job...

/ wood or metal garage/shop #5  
I built a Pioneer Steel building. 25 x 32 x 16

Attachments

• 262562-IM001619.JPG
    262562-IM001619.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,426
   / wood or metal garage/shop #6  
WVBill, thanks for the link to your barn raising. I had not seen that before and I enjoyed it. Nice looking barn you put up there.

/ wood or metal garage/shop #7  
Prefab metal buildings are a good way to go. I put up a 30'x40'x10' building about 3 years ago. Had a contractor pour the slab. Had help putting up the main I beams and roof panels. Otherwise I did it all myself. It is fully insulated.

Attachments

• 262881-barn2.jpg
    262881-barn2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,817
   / wood or metal garage/shop #8  
Have you looked into structural insulated panels (SIP's)? You could pour your slab and finish it out then put up your building in less than a day with only three or four people. You'll have all the insulation you'll ever need and be under roof the first day! You'll spend a little more on materials but save it on labor. Check them out. I think you'll be impressed. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ wood or metal garage/shop #9  
A slab is a good idea because it provides a good surface to roll things around on, such as attachements on dollies. Having attachements on dollies makes it much easier to store and attache them. You will lust after attachements, such its best to be prepared.
I also build a Pioneer structure, a decision which I consider a big mistake. It would have been much cheaper and quicker to build a stick frame 'barn' which is what the barn I am currently building, and the workshop which I will build, will be. In a few years I will demolish the Pioneer building and rebuild another our of wood.

/ wood or metal garage/shop
Thanks for the suggestions and links. The link to the pole barn sequence and the link to the other discussion thread were especially helpful.

I've talked to some locals around here and have had many of them tell me to "put up a pole barn frame with pre-made trusses, use some blue board under the metal and forget about it." I was about 50/50 on whether to build a pole barn or stick frame until I thought about one more thing. I'll be doing most of it myself and will basically do it as I have the time. I believe pole barn framing with metal sheathing will be more time forgiving than stick frame with OSB sheathing. For instance, if I get the poles up and have to stop for a few days, no big deal. I just think it will be easier time wise to build the pole barn.

I still very much appreciate the great advice you've given and please don't hesitate to add to this thread. However, I believe a metal clad pole barn is definately what I'll build. I'll keep you posted and hopefully give a Spencer like documentary as I progress.

Thanks