gravel price check

/ gravel price check #1  

washashore

I just got quoted for 1 1/2 stone for 25$/ yard delivered here in maine. That seems high to me but I've never bought stone here before. Any thoughts?

/ gravel price check #2  
No experience in Maine, but I think your distance from the quarry makes a major difference.

Steve

/ gravel price check #3  
Not only distance as Steve pointed out, but how big a load? Most loads here in a tandem axle bobtail are 12 to 14 tons or 9-10 yd per load. The weight of the load is controlled by your state's DOT. If your hauler can tow a pup trailer, then that amount can be doubled and is a better deal. Larger dump trucks can haul up to 25 tons or more, but are much harder to maneuver and require a large area to turn around. Small standard dump trucks usually haul around 5 yards or a bit over 7 tons.

Having said that, a 14 ton load of washed crushed rock hauled around 25 miles one-way would cost you about $250 at your prices. That's not a bad price these days. I'd expect it to be a little more. I just paid $305 for a 14 ton load of rip-rap (4"-6" stone) because I got four loads. A single load would have been higher.

EDIT: Crushed stone weighs about 2600-2700 lb per yard.

/ gravel price check #4  
I don't know what gravel cost in this area. I know they only pay 30 to 50 cents a yard when they get it from our area.

/ gravel price check #5  
When I had stone delivered last spring, it was about $21 per ton delivered. This was for what we call #57 limestone. I live in Central Ohio.

/ gravel price check #6  
I recently got a quote for $300/triaxle delivered for driveway gravel (14.05/ton). The place I called calls it #73 gravel, stuff that's about 1" or so in size. They said they would spread it for an additional $20 on the total. I'm in east central Indiana. What they call #57 stone here is stuff the same size, only it has a lot of limestone dust in it so it packs really well, but I don't know the price on that.

/ gravel price check #7  
Just had 20 ton of #2 stone delivered for $13.25 a ton. That includes delivery and tax. Central NY.

/ gravel price check #8  
As others indicated, it is all based on amount and how far they have to travel from the quarry. Another big factor is WHO hauls it for you. You need to find the BIGGEST trucking company in the area because they get a better rate at the quarry.

Example, I have a good friend that is a dump-truck owner-operator and works for a local paving company. I called and inquired about getting a few loads of limestone. He suggested I called a certain company first. I called them, they quoted me $15.75/ton for #57 limestone hauled out of the marion OH quarry. 30 miles to my house which is pretty far. I called my friend back, he said they wont even sell him the stone at that rate and that is why he wanted me to call this other company. Because they do thousands of tons of business/year, and he only does a few hundred. His cost would be the same as if I were to go get it there @ $16/ton. So the big company could DELIVER cheaper than I could even buy for. Probabally similar in your area.

The problem you have is with such a small amount. Only 2-2.5 tons is only going to cost ~$30-$40 for the stone itself. But the truckers have to make money delivering. ~$50 for delivery (if your arent too far) makes the cost per ton MUCH higher with just a few ton than if you were to get a 22T load. Another option....if you have a p/u.....that would only be a few loads to just get yourself.

When I had stone delivered last spring, it was about $21 per ton delivered. This was for what we call #57 limestone. I live in Central Ohio.

What quarry and from who?? That is ~$5/ton higher than I got last summer. Unless you got a small load. Was this a full 20T+ load?

Edit: forgot to add that in my area, gravel (NOT limestone) is about $2/ton cheaper. BUT....the you get LESS volume per ton of gravel vs limestone. And when filling/doing driveways, VOLUME is what matters.

So...If we figure the weight difference....Gravel is 1.5T/yard and limestone is 1.3T/yard, and lets say $16/ton for limestone and $14/ton for gravel......

20T limestone = 15.4 yards = $320
20T gravel.....= 13.3 yards = $280

So....you would need an additional 2.1 yards of gravel to have the same volume. And @ 1.5T/yard, that would be another ~3 tons, or an additional $42, which NOW costs more than limestone. AND limestone lasts a lot longer.

This is just the case in my area though, other areas the price spread may be more due to quarry locations. But for me, it has always made more sense to get limestone. And this is IF you are paying by weight. I know the OP mentioned he was getting quoted yardage, which is how I personally think they should sell any/all fill material, but that would be hard to meter. But at least you wont be getting screwed if it happens to be raining when they load/deliver and you get that big wet load of sand or stone. I cant hep but wonder how many tons of water I have bought and have delivered in a dumptruck over the years:confused2:

/ gravel price check #9  
I have a insert for my old f250. I can hull about 5000 pounds of gravel at a time. I hate road rock. I pay about 7.50 a load for two inch clean rock. I put in 3/4 road rock and it would just rut out and just go though the drive way to fast. The last loads i hulled 14 loads for my self an 8 loads for my buddy in one day. I am able to spread it out thin and put it where i want it. The 1 1/2 is perfect for my farm drive. The drive has been established for about 60 years and still every year i have to pour more rock.

/ gravel price check #10  
The drive has been established for about 60 years and still every year i have to pour more rock.

Isn't that amazing? You could probably dig down 20 feet and still be pulling up 60 years worth of driveway! Where I'm at, it takes me around 5-6 years to wear a driveway out to the point where I need to add more gravel to it. Around here, you can't put a shovel anywhere in the ground without hitting a grapefruit sized rock (or bigger)...