Need to remove rock tops............

/ Need to remove rock tops............
Ok....the hammer and chisel thing just made the rock mad. It's solid and it doesn't break up like some do. I'm going to see if I can find a 4" diamond blade locally for my angle grinder. If that fails, jackhammer time. After that.......dynamite.

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #22  
Angle grinder with diamond rock blade will work.:thumbsup:

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #23  
I would sure try Baby Grand's Roman method before I spent a lot of money on anything.

We have some technological advances the Romans couldn't use.

1. Charcoal Briquettes

2. Electric fan

For no more than $5 - $10 you can try this on one rock and see for yourself how well it works.

It will save you time, effort and money.

The second method I would recommend is a jackhammer. But you have to understand how to use them. Take advantage of the fact that rock has low or no tensile strength. Which means the most efficient way to use a jackhammer is to move back 2-3" from an edge and hammer there. As you chip material off the edge, you keep moving back.

I have watched and laughed inside as guys started in the middle of a large flat expanse of rock and got nowhere fast. Throw down the jackhammer, shout a few choice words and walk away. I pick it up, move to an edge and start making rubble pretty fast.

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #24  
You can rent an electric jackhammer around here for less than a $100 for the day, before I bought mine, it cost me $45 for the day to rent. A couple of rocks like you have, should be a quick job.

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #25  
If you do go for the diamond blade remember to cool it with water -- -does not have to be a lot, just enough to not burn the diamonds off the blade. :eek:

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #26  
4.5 inch diamond blades for side grinder are available at lowes and HD. Run about $30 last time I bought one. Works fast and if you keep it cool, will last quite long. If you are doing flagstone, you can use it for scoring and cutting the stone to fit.

Depending how much of the top of a stone you want to take off, score it an inch or so around the top. The cut some wedges out of hickory, drive into the cracks, and wet them. Keep them wet for a day or two and they will pop the top of the rock off.

My grandfather used to work a quarry long before big saws and jack hammers were around. He showed me several things like the hickory wedges. It does work!

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #27  
CLICK HERE

I was very sucessfull in removing the top 16" of a large piece of granite using Dexpan. Drill your holes, mix your Dexpan and pour it in your holes, walk your carcus away, let your Dexpan do your work for you. After a few hours
return to see your mess, clean up and smile. It is amazing when used correctly.

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #28  
I forgot I had taken pictures, here is the aftermath, need I say more?

dexpan.jpg

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #29  
Artisan is the man!
I have read a lot about that material and as well heard excellent reports from a very large blasting contractor in our area that I have known for many years.
While professionally it is less cast effective he told me that the results were excellent.
The beauty is no permits are needed, just drill holes and fill and add water.

/ Need to remove rock tops............ #30  
I weighed out wedges and feathers, to buy them was really expensive. I
have plenty of machines, from a Stihl 14" handheld Quikcut saw, to a 9, to a
7, down to 4" . The cost of Dexpan and drilling vs sawing and breathing the
superfine saw dust just seemed the easiest route for me. ( I would love to
own feathers and wedges if anyone cares to sell them cheap :) )

I have 1/3 a box left over, some day I want to experiment w/ it and see
how precise one can be drilling smaller holes . I think I used a 1-5/8" X 18"
long ArrowHead style bit under a bosch chipping hammer. It sent me
and my helper for a few turns before it was all done!:confused2: But done it was.
It is like painting, do a crap load of tedius prep work for 5 minutes of fun.
I blew out the holes really clean.

You actually mix it in a pail then pour it in. Use a big funnel, I didn't and you
can see I wasted some. It sets up purdy fast. When done it turns to talc powder. I was amazed at the outcome.

WARNING: I spoke to several pros about this stuff prior to use. BLOWOUTS
can occure. I am told it can shot 40' up into the air should it slip, so keep
kids, people, animals etc away and be forewarned. I understand it is rare
but it can happen.

You buy it based on temperature if I rememeber right. BE SURE to learn all about it and respect
it. This stuff is freaking awsome. There are a couple of brands, do your
homework.

I wished I had taken before pics, before drilling, after drilling and after silent
dexpan-demo.