Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Wall #2 is up.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 697
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #112  
Wall #2 is up.

Suggestion: Install the door header up tight under the plate, and just frame a 2x4 over the door. That way if you screw up it's easy to modify the height. Not so big a deal on a door, but if it were a 14' wide sliding patio door, you'd be kicking yourself. If you have the header there it's really tough to fix a wrong height. It also gives more solid support to the rafters, which is what you really care about anyway.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Suggestion: Install the door header up tight under the plate, and just frame a 2x4 over the door. That way if you screw up it's easy to modify the height. Not so big a deal on a door, but if it were a 14' wide sliding patio door, you'd be kicking yourself. If you have the header there it's really tough to fix a wrong height. It also gives more solid support to the rafters, which is what you really care about anyway.

That's a good suggestion now that I already have the door framed.

Wall #3 is up. I put it up without the plywood on it so that it would have a little flexibility to fit between the existing walls. I also left out the window header. That wall was a breeze to stand up compared to the other two.

If I get time in the morning, I'll take better pics. For now I've earned a good night's sleep.

Attachments

• 20120531_215054.jpg
    20120531_215054.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 226
Wall #3 in better light.

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 853
I'm anticipating the next steps...

What's a good, cheap way to flash the windows?

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #116  
Iplayfarmer said:
I'm anticipating the next steps...

What's a good, cheap way to flash the windows?

image-1852197712.jpg

This is as cheap as it gets ;)!!!

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #119  
Ok, since I spoofed you on your flashing question, the least I can do is make things right and get you pointed in the right direction.

This website is a pretty good instructional on proper flashing techniques. I think after you review you will have a good idea what your situation needs based on the type of window you are installing.

Installing and Flashing Windows Correctly - Fine Homebuilding Article

Wow! 8 pages. It look like some good information.

After reading through most of the linked article (and other similar articles) what I need more information on is the sill pan. How do I make a sill pan, and what do I use?