Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I got the fourth wall up on Saturday. I've included a second picture from the back side to get a better view of this fourth wall. You can also see that I've put up more of the sheeting on the exterior.

I was hoping to get a little further on this before I found a good stopping place, but my wife has requested that I get some other projects done. It will likely be a week or so before I can work on this again.

I spent some more money. I paid $70 for some more used lumber, a bunch of 2X6 and 2X8 material. I expect that I'll be able to use it on the roof... ceiling joists, ridge beam, rafters. Some of the stuff is full thickness rough cut.

Attachments

• 20120602_181611.jpg
    20120602_181611.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 384
  • 20120602_181535.jpg
    20120602_181535.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 509
Spent more money... $125 for all the hardware I need to make a roll up door. That just tipped me over the $1000 mark. I'm up to $1080 so far.

With a roll up door that small (6' X 7') I figured I'd either have to modify one or make my own. There's a garage door business in a nearby town that went out of business and it's being liquidated by a surplus type guy. He hooked me up with all the hinges, springs, track, rollers, handles, screws and everything I need for the door... Brand New! All I have to do is supply the panels. I'm planning to insulate the core of the panels.

The catch is that he gave me two springs so I could use one if the other didn't work. I have to return the one I don't use. That means I'll probably have to build this garage door before I finish the rest of the building. I don't want him waiting too long before I return the spring.

I spent another $140.

ForumRunner_20120608_181154.png

I sold my antique Oliver 70 on Saturday to free up more funds to keep working on this project.

The thread is boring now because I'm not actually doing anything on the shop lately. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have some time to get back into it.

Progress! ...sort of.

I carved out about an hour on Saturday and got the jack studs up for the basement doorway. These had to be nailed at the top and secured with mollys at the bottom. I also had to do some artistic carving with a hand planer to fit the contours of the cut brick. It's been so long since I did anything on this shop that I'm forgetting how to build. I had my header all ready to nail in place when I realized I'd made it out of 2X4 material rather than 2X6.

I have some good news, though. I found a Hitachi roofing nailer at a yard sale this weekend for $10. I tested it, and it shoots nails great. That will make the roofing part go very nicely.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #127  
I sold my antique Oliver 70 on Saturday to free up more funds to keep working on this project.

The thread is boring now because I'm not actually doing anything on the shop lately. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have some time to get back into it.

No thread is boring, sometimes life gets in the way of our projects. Keep working and I will see when you post :laughing:

No thread is boring, sometimes life gets in the way of our projects. Keep working and I will see when you post :laughing:

Thanks for the kind words of support. I got to thinking this morning that it would have been pretty exciting if I had installed the header before I had noticed the screw up. It's one of those things that would have been funny if it had happened to someone else.

I hope to get some time to work on it tonight. I want to get the exterior sheeting up and wrap it with house wrap. Then I'll start work on the roof. Once I have the roof dried in I'll probably build some shelves for that basement storage area so I can start storing stuff down there.

We had a father-son campout this weekend with my church. A bunch of guys there commented on the build. Most of them are real farmers with 60'X60' shops full of $100K combines and thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment. They all were impressed with efficient use of space and materials.

I made some real progress this evening. I got the header made for the downstairs door... this time with 2X6's. No sooner had I made it than I went to lift my 6-year-old daughter into the workshop like I've done dozen times before. I smacked her poor head square on the new header. She was tough about it, though. She was a big help handing me the nailer and other tools while I was holding the sheets of plywood in place ready to nail.

I also got most of the outer sheeting done. I still have a few bits and pieces to put in around the windows and doors. I'm just tacking them up for now with nails. I'll go back and screw everything in place later. Does anyone know what code is for screwing plywood on the outside of a building? What size screws? How far apart?

See the progress pictures below. I don't know why that first picture turned out so blue. It still shows the progress, though.

Attachments

• 20120618_181928.jpg
    20120618_181928.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20120618_190434.jpg
    20120618_190434.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20120618_193640.jpg
    20120618_193640.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20120618_212301.jpg
    20120618_212301.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 182
  • 20120618_212317.jpg
    20120618_212317.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 20120618_212334.jpg
    20120618_212334.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 270
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #130  
Does anyone know what code is for screwing plywood on the outside of a building? What size screws? How far apart?

I've not seen a schedule for screws, but for nails it's usually 8d common 6" apart at edges, 12" apart everywhere else. Some places actually don't allow screws because they'll sometimes break when the structure tries to rack, where a nail won't. If you're not having it inspected, I'd not worry too much. If you are, then whatever your inspector likes best?