Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #131  
Go ahead and use your nailer for the wall sheathing. There is no real advantage to using screws and they will take longer and cost more.

MarkV

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #132  
Looks great. I like the use of the recycled materials.

I second the use of nails over screws.

One comment (please, this is not a flame), I see a couple of places where there is a joint between two sheets of the sheathing that lines up exactly with the stud for the header for a window or a doorway. In other words, the sheathing is not over lapping the header and the stud providing lateral stability. The inspectors wouold have fits with that here. They like to see a good 8-12" overlap with the sheathing on any header. It ends up wasting sheathing, but does protect against the building racking at a critical point.

Given the size of your building, it should not be an issue, but I thought I would mention it.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Go ahead and use your nailer for the wall sheathing. There is no real advantage to using screws and they will take longer and cost more.

MarkV

I've not seen a schedule for screws, but for nails it's usually 8d common 6" apart at edges, 12" apart everywhere else. Some places actually don't allow screws because they'll sometimes break when the structure tries to rack, where a nail won't. If you're not having it inspected, I'd not worry too much. If you are, then whatever your inspector likes best?

I like using the nailer. That will be a lot easier than the screws, but I like the comfort of having the screws. I may use a few screws to snug the plywood up against the studs and then do the rest with nails. I'm not inspected because of how small this shop is, but I do realize the codes are there for a reason. If I can meet code, I'd like to.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #134  
I like using the nailer. That will be a lot easier than the screws, but I like the comfort of having the screws. I may use a few screws to snug the plywood up against the studs and then do the rest with nails. I'm not inspected because of how small this shop is, but I do realize the codes are there for a reason. If I can meet code, I'd like to.

I don't really think that using screws in this situation will hurt anything. People often don't understand that screws don't have the shear strength that nails do. Many think it is the other way around. That is why code does not allow screws, with some specialty screw allowed, for joist hangers where shear strength is called for. No real problem using screws on your sheathing if you would rather, just not much advantage and a bit slower to install.

MarkV

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #135  
Back when I looking at nail guns, seem to recall some type of nails are not approved or recommended. These are what I think are called chip head and used in some nailers. Bostitch brand is what I have.

Dave

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Back when I looking at nail guns, seem to recall some type of nails are not approved or recommended. These are what I think are called chip head and used in some nailers. Bostitch brand is what I have.

Dave

I found the same thing. My nail gun shoots full round head nails. I nailed most of the plywood up last night. I have a few small pieces left... I.e. over the door and over a few of the windows. I only have a few nails left, though. Looks like I'll have to buy another box since I still have to frame the whole roof. I need to buy a box of roofing nails, too for when I do the shingles.

I haven't put any screws in the plywood. Everything seems to be holding pretty snug.

I've resolved the debate about whether to install a wood stove or not. I saw this little cook stove at a yard sale this weekend. I passed it up at first, but I kept thinking about it. It was still there when I went back this afternoon, so I bought it. It's a Montgomery Ward AS-15-38C. The serial number is 3483. I don't know what any of that means, but I intend to find out. It's small, so I hope it will be a good fit for my little shop. I have visions of a kettle sitting on the stove in the winter for hot chocolate and a loaf of sourdough bread baking while I'm building some amazing project.

I think that with a little cleaning up and some high temperature paint, this will be a great little stove.

Attachments

• Montgomery Ward Stove 2.jpg
    Montgomery Ward Stove 2.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 560
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #138  
Iplayfarmer said:
I've resolved the debate about whether to install a wood stove or not. I saw this little cook stove at a yard sale this weekend. I passed it up at first, but I kept thinking about it. It was still there when I went back this afternoon, so I bought it. It's a Montgomery Ward AS-15-38C. The serial number is 3483. I don't know what any of that means, but I intend to find out. It's small, so I hope it will be a good fit for my little shop. I have visions of a kettle sitting on the stove in the winter for hot chocolate and a loaf of sourdough bread baking while I'm building some amazing project.

I think that with a little cleaning up and some high temperature paint, this will be a great little stove.

Neat little stove! Does it have a tag on it telling you how far away from combustibles it needs to be? I think I shared with you prior how to reduce the clearance. If you need more info send me a PM.

Neat little stove! Does it have a tag on it telling you how far away from combustibles it needs to be? I think I shared with you prior how to reduce the clearance. If you need more info send me a PM.

There's a tag on it with the manufacturer, model number, and serial number. It doesn't say how far to combustibles. I looked for any kind of manual or rating for the Montgomery Ward AS-15-38C, but there's nothing on the web that I could find. I did find these guys on youtube... Reducing Clearances To Combustibles, Part 1 - YouTube I'm planning on at least building a clearance wall out of non-combustibles and using double wall stove pipe. I may also fab a heat shield for the stove. Thanks for the offer of more info. I may take you up on that if I get stuck.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #140  
Iplayfarmer said:

I think M.W. was like sears put their name on things but someone else manufactured them. You might look it over rel close for an indication of manufacture.