Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
What do you use to create these sketches?

Thanks.

I'm using Google Sketchup. There's a bit of learning curve, but not as much as other CAD based programs. I've found Sketchup to be VERY useful. Case in point... The attached image shows how I drew circles to mark out the required clearance to combustibles. Then I drew in the shields using the circles as references, and I can measure the drawn shield to get the right size in real life. It's the best program I've found to meet my needs and my skill level.

Attachments

• wood stove clearances.jpg
    wood stove clearances.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 469
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
You could get another 51 degrees by using paper, but either way they're still made of carbon chains. I think I'd resort to an old aluminum frame storm window sash from a "triple-track" set before I went to lexan, it'd at least give you the metal frame to use for mounting it and protect the edges a little...but I don't know what they use for a gasket material to put the pane and frame together. That might be an issue. Hmmm...

If you're set on using glass, I think I would use tempered glass. Of course, once glass is tempered, it cannot be cut or drilled - so the quickest way would be a trip to the glass store - find some thick plate glass, have it cut to size and corner drilled for mounting and then have it sent out for tempering.

If you weren't in a hurry, the glass company might have another batch to send out for tempering and you wouldn't bear all of the tempering cost. The last time I had glass tempered it cost me $50, and I was in a hurry. Granted this was probably 6 years ago - and there is a place in the city that does the tempering, so the glass company didn't have much expense getting my glass to the temperer.

Auto glass (thick tempered glass) is pretty strong stuff. It would hold up pretty well unless you smacked it with the stove poker. I can imagine swinging a long board in your small shop and hitting stuff...Plate glass would be a disaster in my opinion.

I am pretty set on using something transparent there to shield the window. The post from ustmd has me convinced that the heat has potential to deform the vinyl even if it doesn't catch on fire. For now I'll just keep my eyes open to see if I can scrounge up a used or surplus piece of tempered glass that is approximately the size I need. I do have time on my side. There is a LOT to do on this shop before I need to worry about starting that wood stove.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #163  
For now I'll just keep my eyes open to see if I can scrounge up a used or surplus piece of tempered glass that is approximately the size I need.

Stereo cabinet doors are usually tempered. You might find one sitting out by the roadside, or in the free listings in your local craigslist...

Stereo cabinet doors are usually tempered. You might find one sitting out by the roadside, or in the free listings in your local craigslist...

Thanks for the info. That helps. I was trying to think of a vehicle that has a window about that size, but hadn't thought of any.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #165  
Iplayfarmer said:
Thanks for the info. That helps. I was trying to think of a vehicle that has a window about that size, but hadn't thought of any.

Just remember to make a clamp bracket to hold it. Don't try to drill it!!

Just remember to make a clamp bracket to hold it. Don't try to drill it!!

Thank you. Point taken. The plan right now involves a series of brackets that the glass sets in.

I got the notches cut in the top of the poles to accept the 2X12 beams. I took a page out of Motor Seven's book and cut the notches with a chainsaw. You can see the temporary platform I built to stand on while I marked the location with a laser level and made the cuts. It was a little hairy being up that high leaning over the edge running the chainsaw. I'm glad to have that part done.

I need to pick up some brackets today to hang the shop side of the beams. Are regular metal brackets going to be enough to hold the beams up? Is there some simple overkill that I can add to the design?

Attachments

• 20120724_202034.jpg
    20120724_202034.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 427
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #168  
A simple way to support that beam where it meets the shop would be to mount a 2x4 on the exterior of the shop wall for the beam to rest on. Most likely it would be even cheaper than heavy metal brackets.

MarkV

The beams are in place and I'm ready for joists and rafters.

It may take me a while to cut out all the rafters.

Attachments

• Beams in Place 2.jpg
    Beams in Place 2.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 707
  • Beams in Place 1.jpg
    Beams in Place 1.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 402
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #170  
From the photo it looks like the longest span of your new beam is held by a single joist hanger. When you add ceiling joists, ceiling finish, rafters, sheathing and roofing material it is more than I would want to trust a light weight hanger to hold.

MarkV