Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I spent half the night at the rodeo last night, so I only had time to put up one of the braces. What do you all think? I this going to hold the roof up?

I took the pictures this morning. The lighting is a little weird, but you can get the basic idea.

Attachments

• 20120816_073146.jpg
    20120816_073146.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 238
  • 20120816_073202.jpg
    20120816_073202.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 364
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I got the second brace up last night. I like these braces enough that I think I'll do the same thing on the front of the shop where the gable overhangs. The angled notch in the verticle piece probably doesn't add a lot of strength to the system, but it really makes it easier to install.

I spent another $20 today on some more 3/4" plywood for the roof. I also splurged a bit and picked up an audio receiver for $34 at a yard sale. I've been wanting to install a sound system in this workshop. I like listening to music while I work, and this system will be a lot better than a boom box on a shelf in the corner. I got a Pioneer VSX-D514.

Attachments

• 20120816_203934.jpg
    20120816_203934.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 232
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #183  
I like listening to music while I work, and this system will be a lot better than a boom box on a shelf in the corner. I got a Pioneer VSX-D514.

Have you been peeking into my "cave"?:D The boom box is what I use; I never shut it off.:) It greets me when I walk in and the motion detector activated light comes on so I can see where the other light switches are.

Have you been peeking into my "cave"?:D The boom box is what I use; I never shut it off.:) It greets me when I walk in and the motion detector activated light comes on so I can see where the other light switches are.

Maybe I have seen your shop. Is it the one with an old 80's era tape deck boom box somewhere near a window? There's a coat hanger or similar wire in place of the long since broken antenna, and a wadded up rag or two and a can of WD40 are within a foot in one direction or another.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #185  
Maybe I have seen your shop. Is it the one with an old 80's era tape deck boom box somewhere near a window? There's a coat hanger or similar wire in place of the long since broken antenna, and a wadded up rag or two and a can of WD40 are within a foot in one direction or another.

That's pretty close but the only window I have is in the entrance door which opens to the inside of a steel Quonset building. It's truly a cave-like place and I can heat it in winter:snowflake:. The boombox is a little newer; it has a compact disc player, too.:laughing: The WD40 is on the shelf at the opposite end of the shop - behind me as I'm taking the photo.:camera:

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 250
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #186  
Your not truly stuck int he '70's unless you have a Turntable and a mess of vintage alblums:D

That being said, last night I bought a JBL Ipod/Mp3 player for my work days at the house. My old boom box was making me postal....it could not play mp3's and the Fm tuner must have been made in Iraq, the station would drift off every 10 min along with this horrible low pitch buzzing sound in the background. Not to mention it only picked up 3 stations. Last week I cracked and threw the dang thing off the porch. The JBL picks up all stations crystal clear, and plays my MP3 library of mostly southern classic rock....life is good:drink:

Here is the South wall with brackets added. As I posted this picture I realized that I left my contruction adhesive on top of the wall.

Attachments

• 20120821_203457.jpg
    20120821_203457.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 339
I got my construction adhesive down off the wall. I also got all of my ceiling joists up on the workshop portion and hung a bunch of rafters. The first picture is about halfway through the day after I got the ceiling joists up. The second picture is at the end of the day when I started running out of daylight.

I learned a few things about hanging rafters. I found that the best method is to set the rafters in place with the plumb cut at the top slightly above the ridge beam (~1/4" or so). Then I'd nail down the bird's mouth to the top plate of the wall. After both rafters were nailed to the walls I'd climb to the ridge and tap the rafters down where they belong and nail them to the ridge beam. This created the best fit and also kept the ridge beam straight as I worked.

I put up 5 sets of rafters. I'm 1/4 of the way done with the roof. It is a little nerve wracking being up on that roof, and I'm looking forward to being done.

Attachments

• 20120825_130512.jpg
    20120825_130512.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 250
  • 20120825_203051.jpg
    20120825_203051.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 255
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #189  
Your gettin there...nice overhangs!

Your gettin there...nice overhangs!

Thanks. I planned for the long tails on the rafters because I had 10' boards already, and it seemed like a shame to cut much off. I was originally concerned that the overhang may overwhelm the little shop, but I think it looks okay. I have nearly 3 feet of overhang. That should keep the windows dry.