Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I did pretty good this morning, but then I got rained out after dinner. Here is a picture of this afternoon's progress. I didn't get much farther than what you see in the picture.

I guess that we'll have to do some more framing on Monday before we sheet the roof.

View attachment 278921

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #202  
I did pretty good this morning, but then I got rained out after dinner. Here is a picture of this afternoon's progress. I didn't get much farther than what you see in the picture.

I guess that we'll have to do some more framing on Monday before we sheet the roof.

View attachment 278921

But - with the two extra sets of willing hands and a strong back or two, that can move along right smartly. Let's hope the weather works for you , rather than against. Looking GOOD!:construction::applause:

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I typically approach a day of working on this workshop with an idea of what I hope to get done and a more realistic idea of what I actually expect to get done. Usually I end up somewhere just above my expectations but well below my hopes. I started this morning a half day behind after not finishing the rafters on Saturday. I hoped that my dad, brother, and I could get the first row of sheeting on each side of the roof, but my more realistic expectation was that we'd just finish the roof framing. Low and behold we exceeded my expectations by a long shot. The entire roof is sheeted. My family has always worked well together. The three of us got into a good rhythm and kept at it until it was done. More in the next post about some of the details.

Attachments

• Root cellar Roof Sheeted.jpg
    Root cellar Roof Sheeted.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 227
I wasn't quite sure how we'd get the sheets of 3/4" plywood up onto the roof. We learned quickly that lifting them up by hand wasn't going to work for the whole project. Between the three of us we came up with the system illustrated in the pictures below. Laugh all you want, but it worked VERY well.

I have some makeshift wooded clamp on forks from a previous project. My brother was on the ground and he'd set a sheet of wood on the forks and put the hook of a strap over the bottom of the sheet. We'd lean the sheet back so that the top was supported by the weight of the wood leaning against the strap, and my brother would lift it up as far as my little loader goes. Then one of us would pull on the strap to lean the sheet against the rafter tails and keep pulling to get the sheet up to where the other one could comfortably grab it and set it in place. The first row on each side was pretty slow because we had to measure and place each sheet. The other two rows on each side went surprisingly fast.

You may also notice my moving scaffolding in the background behind the truck. It doubles as a horse trailer. That made a nice platform to work off of. It put me at about the right height when we were setting joists and rafters.

It was an amazing day's work, and I'm very pleased with the progress we made. I owe my dad and brother big time for the help today, and I owe my brother in law big time for what he helped me get done on Saturday.

Attachments

• Lifting Roof Sheets 3.jpg
    Lifting Roof Sheets 3.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Lifting Roof Sheets 1.jpg
    Lifting Roof Sheets 1.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Lifting Roof Sheets 2.jpg
    Lifting Roof Sheets 2.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 152
One more quick thought. The ad at the top of the page cracked me up pretty good after I submitted that last post: "Buy used telehandlers". I don't know how the ad service knows what to place, but that was a good punchline. Well played TBN.

I need some ridge vent advice. I'm putting ridge vent over the enclosed workshop section because the workshop will be insulated. Should I add ridge vent over the open, uninsulated shed section of the roof, too? If so, what's the benefit?

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #207  
I need some ridge vent advice. I'm putting ridge vent over the enclosed workshop section because the workshop will be insulated. Should I add ridge vent over the open, uninsulated shed section of the roof, too? If so, what's the benefit?

All your shingles line up...? Because you might enclose it the rest of the way someday (like if you find a bunch of cheap metal siding or something)? Other than those, I can't think of one.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #208  
Iplayfarmer said:

I am big on aesthetic balance, and think it might look "off" without the ridge vent in place the full length. Of course that's just me :)

It won't hurt to have it in place, hot air will still rise in an open sided shed...

I am big on aesthetic balance, and think it might look "off" without the ridge vent in place the full length. Of course that's just me :)

It won't hurt to have it in place, hot air will still rise in an open sided shed...

Your advice hasn't failed me yet, Dean; and that makes two votes for the ridge vent the entire length. I'd better set to work scrounging because it looks like new ridge vent is going to cost more than what I paid for all the rest of the roofing materials together.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #210  
Personally I think you are good either way with the open section. With money being an issue I would not do it myself. It isn't going to make much difference. If you ever decide to close the area in it is pretty easy to cut an 1" of shingle and sheathing back from the ridge beam on both sides and add it. If you plan to be active in the area I would spend the money on electrics and a used ceiling fan. You would get more comfort from that than a ridge vent. Just my 2 cents.

MarkV