Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #211  
Iplayfarmer said:
Your advice hasn't failed me yet, Dean; and that makes two votes for the ridge vent the entire length. I'd better set to work scrounging because it looks like new ridge vent is going to cost more than what I paid for all the rest of the roofing materials together.

Been thinking this evening. Since the majority of your building is going to be open, you might consider (cost consideration) using a combination of gable vents and turbines. I might also suggest putting in an attic fan in your shop.

Our house didn't have a good place for the attic fan, so I put it in our garage. We happen to have a wood screen door between our garage and house. When I want to use the attic fan for the house, I make sure the garage doors are closed, and I open the solid door leading into the house...but what I really love is working out in the garage - I will shut the house door and partially open a garage door. It really makes working in the garage bearable.

Over at my shop, I have a 4' floor fan that I move to where I am working, but in your small shop, space will be a premium. I think an attic fan would work well for you.

Instead of breaking the bank on all that ridge venting - you might find everything including an attic fan for a comparable cost. Something to think about. (yeah, I would evenly space the turbines the full length :). Again that's just me!)

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I think I need to clarify that the ceiling in this workshop is vaulted. With space at a premium, storage space is golden. I chose a vaulted ceiling to leave the ceiling joists available for storage.

The plan right now is to keep my eyes open for some surplus or cheap ridge vent. If I find enough, I'll do the whole roof. If I don't, I'll just do the ridge vent over the shop.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I'm still keeping track of my expenses. I spent $200 on Monday for the last of the lumber I needed for the roof. The total to date is just under $2,000.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #214  
Ridge vents keep roof temperatures down and extend shingle life. Do the whole roof.

I got the first row of tar paper down last night. Here's hoping it doesn't rain today. Before I put down the tar paper, I went over the roof and put the rest of the nails in the plywood. We were in a hurry on Monday so we only nailed the corners on some of the sheets. I also put up the drip edge on one side. By the time I got this first piece of tar paper down it was getting pretty dark. I hope to squeeze some time out of my schedule tonight to get the rest of the tar paper down.

Attachments

• 20120906_071604.jpg
    20120906_071604.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 199
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #216  
Another vote for an gable/attic fan. It's a shop, so flip it on when your out there and leave a window open when your not. Looks good and 3/4 ply on the roof?...wow most around here use 1/2", but there is no real snow load.

Most around here use 1/2", too. 3/4" is what I had from all of my surplus scrounging. I had to buy a half dozen or so sheets to finish the job, but I figured 3/4" would give me a sturdier structure in the end.

I have a roof flashing question. Do I put the tar paper under or over the chimney flashing? I've seen all the instructions for how to add roof flashing after the roof is already installed, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it if I'm constructing new.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #219  
Iplayfarmer said:
I have a roof flashing question. Do I put the tar paper under or over the chimney flashing? I've seen all the instructions for how to add roof flashing after the roof is already installed, but I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it if I'm constructing new.

This is a very informative website for roofing.

http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/asphalt.aspx#flashings

This is the section dealing with pipe penetrations.

[http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/details/asph-8.pdf

To answer your question, the felt / tar paper underpayment should be applied first. You can't go wrong with this approach. That said, there are instances where you would want to apply a water / ice dam material over the flashings, but on top of the underpayment. (Low slope roof edges in northern climates; skylights, etc)

Hope this helps, and I tried to wait a bit to let others chime in. Perhaps I need to get a life :)

...Hope this helps, and I tried to wait a bit to let others chime in. Perhaps I need to get a life :)

Please don't get a life if it means you will be cutting back on the amount of advice you give.

Here's what I did... I put the felt paper down first, and then put the flashing over it. THEN, I put more felt paper over the flashing, but tucked the top of the extra felt paper under the row of felt paper above it. See the attached picture.

I've made more progress since this picture, but I'll post details later. For now I need to get out and do some more work.

Attachments

• Chimney Flashing.jpg
    Chimney Flashing.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 158