Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

It is getting dark WAY too soon nowadays.

Here's what I got done today. I got up this morning and finished the tar paper before breakfast. While I was up there I took a shot of the ridge line. I've seen straighter lines, but it will do. After breakfast I started laying shingles. I finished the whole East side of the roof today and I got a few rows started on the West side. The third picture shows the pattern I chose to use for the two colors of shingles. Feel free to critique my crooked lines of shingles, but I'm still not re-doing it.

I did a little math and figured that I carried about 1,400 pounds of shingles up a 12' ladder today. I'm including a picture of the scary ladder. That's something else I did today after breakfast. I repaired a broken rung on the ladder. That was well worth the half hour or so that I spent on it. I may end up repairing a few other rungs before this project is done.

Have I mentioned that I'm really eager to be done with all of the aerial stuff?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -felt-paper-done-jpg   -ridge-line-jpg   -east-roof-done-jpg   -scary-ladder-jpg  
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

Hey them lines won't be visible from the ground....and please burn that ladder.....the thing just screams "creak, wobble and snap" I have been using using two Gorilla ladders(Little Giant copies) for many years, a 13' & a 22'. I have a 40' extension ladder but hate to use it anymore because I just don't feel comfortable on it like I do the Gorillas. If I have to go that high I'm renting a lift.

I think Werner bought out Gorilla:
    Search Results for*multi ladder*at The Home Depot

When they go on sale snap one up...you won't regret it.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    Hey them lines won't be visible from the ground....and please burn that ladder.....the thing just screams "creak, wobble and snap" I have been using using two Gorilla ladders(Little Giant copies) for many years, a 13' & a 22'. I have a 40' extension ladder but hate to use it anymore because I just don't feel comfortable on it like I do the Gorillas. If I have to go that high I'm renting a lift.

I think Werner bought out Gorilla:
    Search Results for*multi ladder*at The Home Depot

When they go on sale snap one up...you won't regret it.
    Thanks for the advice on the ladder. I may have to get me something new when this is all done, but for now it's not in the time or the budget. Fixing that one rung made a big difference in the stability of the ladder. I'm sure that there are more rungs that could be tightened to improve it even more.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor

Sad news. Today was windy and most of my tar paper blew off the unfinished side of the roof. Grrrr!! The picture was taken after I'd already salvaged what I could and put a lot of extra nails in.

I guess when I go get more shingles I'll have to pick up some more tar paper, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -windy-day-jpg  

Tractor

A little more cost accounting... I found another guy with some suprlus shingles. I got 8 more bundles plus two rolls of 30 pound tar paper and a large bag of insulation for $140. I'm buying 6 sets of HO flourescent lights (plus bulbs) from the same guy today for $150.

After I picked up the shingles I had time to put four more courses on. I think if I can find one more night to work on it I can finish the shingles. All I'll have after that is the ridge.

Tractor

I bought some more ridge vent. I was driving past a roofing supply house, and I was compelled to stop in. I bought a full roll of the corrugated plastic stuff for $45. Not a great deal, but I think I'll be happier in the end having ridge vent along more of the roof.

Here's hoping that I can find some time tonight to finish the shingles.

Tractor

Quick update: I got more done on the roof, but it isn't finished yet. I had a lot of honey-do's this weekend that were long overdue. I'm excited to have this shop, but I'm not excited to sleep in it; so I'd better keep my priorities in the right place.

Tractor

I've been meaning to mention an interesting phenomenon that is happening. One of the main purposes of this build is to make room to store much of the stuff I have accumulated. As I get further and further on the build, I'm realized that much of the stuff I've accumulated has been materials to build the shed. I'm sure I'll make use of the extra space, though.

Silver Member

FYI-- if you dropped any of those simplex nails off the roof be sure and find them.

They are super bad for finding their way into the bottom of your feet when lying flat on the ground.

Stay safe-- J

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by J35 View Post
    FYI-- if you dropped any of those simplex nails off the roof be sure and find them.

They are super bad for finding their way into the bottom of your feet when lying flat on the ground.

Stay safe-- J
    Thanks for the warning. I've tried to be careful as one side of the roof is over the horse pasture. I'm thinking that when all is done I'll put a 10 cent bounty on stray nails and turn the kids loose. I had my 6-year-old on the ground today catching the loose pieces after I cut shingles. She had everything in little piles organized by size and by color. I think if there are loose nails she'll find them.

I finished the shingles tonight and I have about half of the ridge cap done. The picture is before I started on the ridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20120917_182325-jpg  

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526 ... LastLast