Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Phase 4 (the roof) is now done. Yaay!! It can rain all it wants, now.

I finished the ridge vent and ridge cap tonight. It was getting dark again by the time I got done, so no pictures. I plan to spend some quality time in the daylight with a tube of blackjack in hand checking for exposed nails, etc. Then I'll take down my scary ladder and move on to phase 5: doors, windows, and house wrap.

Actually... I'll probably build the stairs before I tackle the doors and windows.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #232  
That has to be a relief to almost be dried in before winter. Great job and keep it up!

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
So, good news... It's been raining here for two days now. I checked the underside of the roof and there are no wet spots. There's a nice drip line on the pasture side of the structure, and the walls are dry. That's a good sign that I installed the roof right.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #234  
Sounds like you timed it right! Being in the dry sure takes the pressure off eh?

Sounds like you timed it right! Being in the dry sure takes the pressure off eh?

Yes. Some windows and doors will make it even better.

I built some stairs on the North end of the shop (under the shed roof). These stairs took WAY too long to build, but they are done now. I'll add a handrail later. Once the stairs were done I spent some time shuttling tools and materials back into the garage. It was nice to have the stairs.

The stringers are recycled lumber and the treads are some Trex decking that I picked up for cheap at a yard sale. I barely had enough of the decking. I nailed and glued blocks on the sides of the stringers to support the treads, and the risers are screwed top and bottom to provide additional support. I don't have a stringer in the middle of the stairs. In the spirit of maximizing storage space, I kept the area clear under the stairs for additional storage.

Attachments

• Root Cellar Outside Stairs.jpg
    Root Cellar Outside Stairs.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 683
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #237  
Love the posts. Going to use rail for a handrail? ;)

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #238  
Iplayfarmer said:
I built some stairs on the North end of the shop (under the shed roof). These stairs took WAY too long to build, but they are done now. I'll add a handrail later. Once the stairs were done I spent some time shuttling tools and materials back into the garage. It was nice to have the stairs.

The stringers are recycled lumber and the treads are some Trex decking that I picked up for cheap at a yard sale. I barely had enough of the decking. I nailed and glued blocks on the sides of the stringers to support the treads, and the risers are screwed top and bottom to provide additional support. I don't have a stringer in the middle of the stairs. In the spirit of maximizing storage space, I kept the area clear under the stairs for additional storage.

One nice thing about building a structure in a rural area is the absence of government intervention. You get to build a building anyway you want. However, I recall from your previous posts your are trying very hard to comply with all applicable building codes. Because of your comment, I felt compelled to share my concerns:

You are going to need to keep a close eye on your stair treads.

Per table 2 of the attached link, you will find that the maximum span on the deck boards is 12".

http://homedepot.trex.com/trex/groups/content/@mktgtechsvc/documents/document/trexmd_000929.pdf

I know you mentioned screwing the risers together / to the treads and that might give you enough support - but I would caution you to pay close attention to possible tread failure especially when the temps start to rise and the plastics began to soften and lose strength.

Reminds me of story that I was told by a state OSHA inspector (he was a big, big man). He went to a construction site, climbed the 4 steps to enter the job trailer - and the stairs collapsed. He wasn't seriously hurt, but the contractor ended up with a big fine.

Those stairs might have made it the entire job had this 380 pound man stayed away. Or they might have collapsed when someone else was hauling in something heavy. And eventually they would have failed under normal use.

I guess the moral to your story - I see a failure potential and felt obliged to give you a heads up.

Depmandog said:
One nice thing about building a structure in a rural area is the absence of government intervention. You get to build a building anyway you want. However, I recall from your previous posts your are trying very hard to comply with all applicable building codes. Because of your comment, I felt compelled to share my concerns:

You are going to need to keep a close eye on your stair treads.

Per table 2 of the attached link, you will find that the maximum span on the deck boards is 12".

http://homedepot.trex.com/trex/groups/content/@mktgtechsvc/documents/document/trexmd_000929.pdf

I know you mentioned screwing the risers together / to the treads and that might give you enough support - but I would caution you to pay close attention to possible tread failure especially when the temps start to rise and the plastics began to soften and lose strength.

Reminds me of story that I was told by a state OSHA inspector (he was a big, big man). He went to a construction site, climbed the 4 steps to enter the job trailer - and the stairs collapsed. He wasn't seriously hurt, but the contractor ended up with a big fine.

Those stairs might have made it the entire job had this 380 pound man stayed away. Or they might have collapsed when someone else was hauling in something heavy. And eventually they would have failed under normal use.

I guess the moral to your story - I see a failure potential and felt obliged to give you a heads up.

Thanks for the input. I will keep an eye on the stairs. I had figured that I could add a center stringer if I need to later. The trick will be figuring what to anchor it to at the bottom. I also need to reinforce the bottoms of the stringers.

These stairs have cost me nothing but time. At worst they are a temporary measure until I figure something else out. At best they work like I hope and serve me well.

GLyford said:
Love the posts. Going to use rail for a handrail? ;)

It would be cool to put up some narrow gauge type train rails, wouldn't it. I saw some a few years ago at an auction in an old mining community. I wondered what a guy would ever do with it, but now that you mentioned the rail I'm wondering if I should have bid on it.