Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #241  
Ever tried to pick up a full section of rail? Holeey crap..........

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

I have. "Tried" is the operative term. I'd swear it was glued to the ground.

This stuff I saw at the auction a few years back was narrow gauge stuff. It was maybe 1.5" wide and only a couple of inches tall. It was much easier to handle than full size railroad rail.

I have a brief update on the stairs. My theory was that I could leave the section of the pasture fence that was occupied by the stairs ungated. I figured the horses wouldn't go over the stairs.

Wrong!!

Through a series of phone calls with my wife today I learned that my tall dapple grey gelding can go over the stairs faster than she can. On the one hand I'm disssappointed that I have more work to do because I'll have to put some kind of a gate at the bottom of the stairs. On the other hand I'm pleased with myself that I engineered and built stairs that will support my 1200 pound horse. I wish I could have seen him going over the stairs.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #243  
Are you sure there is enough support under those Trex treads? May need to add a couple more stringers!! LOL

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #244  
Modern full-size rail is either 125 or 150 pounds per yard. It adds up quick.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #245  
Modern full-size rail is either 125 or 150 pounds per yard. It adds up quick.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I have a few updates...

We got about 6 inches of snow last week. As it melted I had a good chance to double check that the roof was water tight. There were no wet spots anywhere on the underside of the roof.

Also, I have been adding the last bits of framing in the gables in preparation for the tyvek. There is an arched window on the South end of the shop. Framing that window was a bit of a challenge. I'll try to get some pictures of how I did it. I hope to get the Tyvek up this weekend so I can start windows. My wife is going out of town and leaving me with the kids. Do you think an 11-year-old, a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old will be able to help me do Tyvek and windows?

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #247  
I have a few updates...

We got about 6 inches of snow last week. As it melted I had a good chance to double check that the roof was water tight. There were no wet spots anywhere on the underside of the roof.

Also, I have been adding the last bits of framing in the gables in preparation for the tyvek. There is an arched window on the South end of the shop. Framing that window was a bit of a challenge. I'll try to get some pictures of how I did it. I hope to get the Tyvek up this weekend so I can start windows. My wife is going out of town and leaving me with the kids. Do you think an 11-year-old, a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old will be able to help me do Tyvek and windows?

Can the 11 year drive to the hardware store?

How is the 9-year old with ladders?

Can the 6 year old use the nail gun? :laughing:

Can the 11 year drive to the hardware store?

Yes... as long as she can take the riding lawn mower.

How is the 9-year old with ladders?

He doesn't like ladders, but he's a pretty good hand with the loader on my little tractor.

Can the 6 year old use the nail gun? :laughing:

No. She's pretty good with ladders, though. She was my runner the whole time I was shingling the roof. She brought a lot of coils of nails to me while I was up on the roof. She also did a great job cleaning up the shingle scraps when I was doing the ends. I got done with the roof and there was a nice pile of shingle scraps organized in order by size.

I wrapped the workshop section today. I spent way too much time today trying to figure out how to get the house wrap between the garage and the workshop. I ended up just cutting the house wrap along the roof line of the garage, and I'll put flashing there. Here are a few pictures of today's work. In the first picture you can see the arched window that I framed in earlier this week. The kids were at school most of the day so they only helped a little after they got home.

I ran out of staples for my hammer tacker about the same time I ran out of daylight. I'll get some staples tomorrow so I can finish up the gables. I may even get a window or a door in tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0027[1].jpg
    IMG_0027[1].jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0028[1].jpg
    IMG_0028[1].jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 208