Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

You could add, 2x4s flat on wall as spacers for your track mounts, to allow the addition of 1.5" more foam. I wolud go for the added R-value.

Dave

Tractor
    Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

Do you know the ratings for the torsion springs you want to use? The reason I'm asking is that when I built the overhead door for the garage/shop I built years ago when I lived in Winnipeg, it turned out really well - but shockingly heavy. The springs I had scrounged (remember, I'm a proud cheapskate!) were off a much lighter door. It had been a 9'x11' aluminum overhead. What I built was a 9'x16' wood with Styrofoam inserts. I don't know what the aluminum door weighed but not nearly the 600 or so pounds that wooden one did! You wanna guess how fast I found out how much I didn't know what I was doing?

Knowing how thoroughly you plan things, you probably have made allowance for this...but just in case.
    I miss Paul Harvey News!

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Quote Originally Posted by NormL View Post
    Do you know the ratings for the torsion springs you want to use? The reason I'm asking is that when I built the overhead door for the garage/shop I built years ago when I lived in Winnipeg, it turned out really well - but shockingly heavy. The springs I had scrounged (remember, I'm a proud cheapskate!) were off a much lighter door. It had been a 9'x11' aluminum overhead. What I built was a 9'x16' wood with Styrofoam inserts. I don't know what the aluminum door weighed but not nearly the 600 or so pounds that wooden one did! You wanna guess how fast I found out how much I didn't know what I was doing?

Knowing how thoroughly you plan things, you probably have made allowance for this...but just in case.
    I calculated the weight based on lumber weight tables. Then I had a garage door guy help me with all the hardware. He gave me two sizes of springs so that I'm more likely to have one that works.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    I calculated the weight based on lumber weight tables. Then I had a garage door guy help me with all the hardware. He gave me two sizes of springs so that I'm more likely to have one that works.
    Ahh! I was right about how you plan carefully. That shop is looking better all the time.
    I miss Paul Harvey News!

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by NormL

Ahh! I was right about how you plan carefully. That shop is looking better all the time.
    Thanks.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor

I cut out the frame for my garage door. I've decided to go with 1.5" for now. If I find that the area around the door is too cold I can make a thicker door later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-image-1659912549-jpg  

Tractor

Here's the foam core.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to cut styrofoam? I've tried a few things and ended up with a serrated kitchen knife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-image-526365285-jpg  

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I like to use a regular hand saw to cut styrofoam.

Eddie

Tractor

Thanks, Eddie. I may try that. The kitchen knife cuts okay, it just leaves a rough edge and gets fluff all over the place.

Here's a picture of the top panel done.

Tractor

Oops... Here's the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-image-850298535-jpg  

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1825262728293031 ... LastLast