Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    Thanks, Eddie. I may try that. The kitchen knife cuts okay, it just leaves a rough edge and gets fluff all over the place.

Here's a picture of the top panel done.
    We've cut a lot of styro using the table saw but like your kitchen knife there is a lot of "fluff" x 10 or more. Makes accurate cuts, though!
    I miss Paul Harvey News!

Richmond, British Columbia (suburb of Vancouver)

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

When I worked on a construction site, we used an exacto knife with the blade extended as far out as possible. I still use that method and it doesn't leave any mess. Just draw your guide lines and start sawing, being careful to keep the blade at right angles to your cut.

sld
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1210 / Ford 1710

I have used a bare hack saw blade many times and it works great. For bigger cuts I have used my table saw with good results.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I just used my utility knife and a straight edge to cut some that I put in. I have read a suggestion to sharpen the side edge of a drywall taping knife and use that to cut the styrofoam. The thickness of a kitchen knife is what makes using them a pain in thick styrofoam. Rick

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Here's my garage door all dry fitted and ready to install.

I ended up using the kitchen knife for the rest of the styrofoam just because it was out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-image-3907089222.jpg  
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor

If anyone was wondering, installing a garage door is not a good project to attempt alone. When juggling loose track, a large door panel that has nothing convenient to hold on to, and wheels that fall out of the slots if the door is even slightly tilted, it's easy to run out of hands. I gave it a few different tries on Saturday night. I finally had to quit before I made myself late for a Christmas party. I found this video that makes it look easy. I'll try again tomorrow or Tuesday following the tips in the video.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor

Here is the door all put up in place. The second picture includes the torsion spring in place where it goes. I haven't put tension on the spring yet. I'll have to make some adjustments when I put the sheetrock up, and I may just wait until then to fully install the spring, etc. It will depend on if I need that door for access while I do the other phases of construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-img_0070-1-.jpg   Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-img_0071-1-.jpg  

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Its been six weeks and no update! I know it's winter, but have you been working on the inside of your shop?
    Dean

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Depmandog View Post
    Its been six weeks and no update! I know it's winter, but have you been working on the inside of your shop?
    Thanks for checking up on me. No progress recently. I put the project to bed for the winter. I have spent my project time working on building some cabinets for my wife's beauty salon.

I did have one development worth noting. As we got the final electrical inspection for my wife's salon (three year + long project) the electrical inspector asked what was going on with my workshop. We explained how I don't need building permit due to the size, location, etc.; but the inspector said that even if I don't need a building permit, I still need an electrical permit for any changes to electrical. That could complicate things a bit.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Permit......sure sounds like a 4 letter word eh?
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1926272829303132 ... LastLast