Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Permit......sure sounds like a 4 letter word eh?

Yeah. I understand the reasoning behind permits, inspections, etc., but I still don't want to have to deal with it. My BIL is an electrician and he hinted that there are reasons I don't need the permit. I'll have to pick his brain and see if I can get around it. Ultimately I want to do what's right. But, I don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops if it's not neccessary.

My biggest concern is that I have a bunch of used and surplus materials. I don't know how that fits into new codes, etc. I had to change out $150 worth of outlets in my house a few weeks ago to pass that inspection.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I put some more time in on the workshop tonight. I wound the spring for the garage door. Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't seem like the sure-fire-way-to-die that they make it out to be. I can see how a guy could get hurt if he was taking shortcuts, but it doesn't seem that much more hazardous than running a table saw or much of the other stuff that most of us here do on a regular basis. I hope to get some siding up soon, but first I need to make sure all of the building envelope is ready for siding. I need to flash around the door to downstairs. I also need to flash along the part where the garage roof meets the workshop wall. I'll take a good look at everything because I'm sure there are other little things I still need to do.

My wife wants me to tell you that she has cute toenails. She does. She came out with me tonight so that if I died winding the door spring she could at least call the coroner.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #293  
My wife wants me to tell you that she has cute toenails. She does. She came out with me tonight so that if I died winding the door spring she could at least call the coroner.

You know what they say, no pictures, it didn't happen :). Not for me, but for all the foot fetish people out there! HaHa!!!

Glad to see you thinking about the project. Warmer weather, grass has a green tinge, snow piles are almost gone...April right around the corner. Ushering in of a new season. Time for us to get out and start on those outside projects!

Keep the posts coming!

I was all set to do siding this weekend, but Lowes' $11 T1-11 siding is now $20. Grrr. That puts me into the realm of real siding. I have contacted a guy an hour away who has some odds and ends of cedar siding. I think the shop would look great with cedar on it. There's another guy more local that I'm still trying to get in contact with.

I have to keep telling myself that I'd rather do it right than do it right now.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #295  
Yes, what is up with the high lumber prices? I priced 1/2' OSB $15 a sheet, 1/2' plywood is only $2 more.

Dave

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #296  
Would there be anyone near you making shingles or shakes? They're not too bad to put up (not as fast as clapboards, though), and often weather to a nice gray.

Also might be an option for your gables if you don't find quite enough board siding, or as a way to contrast a couple of walls (often done in coastal towns out his way, where the front might be painted board siding and changes to weathered shingles on the sides and back), depending on what's easier to come by, or if you can only find different types of siding in partial-shed amounts. The wall under your overhang might be one place where something different than the rest would not look out of place, for example. Even if it's just a different color of vinyl, or whatever.

If you have local sawmills, you can sometimes get live edge boards for use as siding, sometimes called wavy edge or Adirondack here. Depending on how thick it's cut, you may have to change the trim boards up to 2x's from 1x's to get the proportions right. Might be a little more "rustic" looking than you were aiming for, though.

There are a few yards around that specialize in cedar. The local guy is one of those. I talked to him, and he thinks he has a partial bunk that I can arrange to buy.

I'm not real particular about what goes up on this shop. The top priority is that it looks on purpose. The second priority is that it fits the budget.

The local guy came through for the siding. I pick up 40 planks today after work. He tells me that will be enough to cover my 380 sq. ft. of exterior wall with about 20% overage for end cuts, etc. The cost will be only slightly more than I was originally planning to pay for the T1-11, and I really think the cedar is going to look and perform much better.

Now I have to learn how to put up cedar siding.