Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I finished up some projects for SWMBO and I should get some time now to put up the siding. It's well aclimated now, since it's been sitting on the trailer in front of the garage for a month.

A few questions...

How big of a deal is it to use galvanized vs. stainless nails? I can't find stainless anywhere around me, but I live in a pretty arid climate. Is it just humid and coastal areas that have problems with stains from the galvanized nails?

Should I use furring strips to create and air gap under the siding? That's an extra step. It's not a lot of extra cost, but it may put my siding out proud of the window trim and the door jambs.

I'd love to hear thoughts on it.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #302  
My gut feeling is no furring strips needed, and go with the galvanized, that's how my house was done 30 years ago. I'm just now dealing with a few split or cupped clapboards, but no rot. On the other hand, most of the cornerboards are junk, but they were untreated and never primed on the back. Since they were put up over tarpaper the house itself under them is fine. I replaced some a few years ago with treated, but they don't hold paint very well. The latest I've used the PVC trim boards (couple different brands, no preference).

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #303  
Here is a link that you will find useful. Galvanized nails are fine.

http://www.wrcla.org/cedarspecs/installing/nails.asp

They also show proper nailing techniques a bit later in the website.

I have bevel cedar on my house. I used red rosin paper underneath.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #304  
Well, they have stainless screws and nails. I seem them at lowes. if you don't care about rust streaks in 2 to 5 years, then by all means use cheaper galvanized nails.are you painting over everything? That would help.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Well, they have stainless screws and nails. I seem them at lowes. if you don't care about rust streaks in 2 to 5 years, then by all means use cheaper galvanized nails.are you painting over everything? That would help.

I'm going with stain vs. paint. I've been to every hardware store I know in 3 towns. No stainless siding nails. I know people do siding around here, but they must not use stainless nails. I've already bought the galvanized nails. I'll just have to take my chances.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #306  
Around here they attach siding using aluminum nails. No worry about rust stains.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #307  
Here is a hint that will save you some time and frustration...if that cedar siding was anything like mine (very dry and easy to split).

Nailing my 6" beveled edge cedar siding required me to pre drill every nail hole. So I made a drilling jig using a straight 1x6. Very carefully laid out the nailing pattern so I could use it from either end. On the bottom of the 1x I attached thin ply scraps as stops to reference the siding bottom.

The last nail nearest the corner board would require me to drill that one in-place, so I made a small pocket jig for that hole.

Most of the siding I installed by myself, so the pre drilling made it easy to hang the long boards..allowing me to start in the middle of a long piece without having to have a third hand.

Here is a hint that will save you some time and frustration...if that cedar siding was anything like mine (very dry and easy to split).

Nailing my 6" beveled edge cedar siding required me to pre drill every nail hole. So I made a drilling jig using a straight 1x6. Very carefully laid out the nailing pattern so I could use it from either end. On the bottom of the 1x I attached thin ply scraps as stops to reference the siding bottom.

The last nail nearest the corner board would require me to drill that one in-place, so I made a small pocket jig for that hole.

Most of the siding I installed by myself, so the pre drilling made it easy to hang the long boards..allowing me to start in the middle of a long piece without having to have a third hand.

Great Advice. I'll be hanging most of this myself, so any little bit helps.

I have hung the first of the siding on the shop. It took a while getting everything ready (trim, etc.), but once I started hanging siding it's going pretty fast. I took the picture early this evening. I've done a little more since then.

Attachments

• image-4262123713.jpg
    image-4262123713.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 189
Followup picture showing the other 4 pieces of siding that I put up Saturday evening...

I'm hoping for some more time tonight to put up more siding.

Attachments

• workshop siding 2.jpg
    workshop siding 2.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 195