Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #31  
thats the way to go iplayfarmer. Afterall we dont have midget sized freinds readily available. :thumbsup:

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
thats the way to go iplayfarmer. Afterall we dont have midget sized freinds readily available. :thumbsup:

My kids worked their tails off yesterday. We cleaned up a bunch of old debris that was on the ground around where I needed to dig post holes. They worked together to hold the tape measure while I marked where the holes go. My youngest helped dig the rocks out of the bottom of the holes. My oldest helped her mom weed the raspberries. They all helped me tear down some fencing that was in the way.

They definately earned their dinner that day.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I'm progressing in baby steps. I set most of the anchor bolts last night. I'm much more comfortable with my concrete work than I was with my masonry work.

I ran out of concrete, though. I have one more hole in the bricks to fill. It's the column right next to the door. I'll pick up another couple of bags and do the last of the concrete maybe tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 862
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #34  
I just noticed you don't have anything other than mortar to bond the new top row of blocks to the existing blocks. I think I would drill some holes into the top course of the old block, insert rebar and fill the cavity with concrete. It would add quite a bit of strength to the structure. Technically, the rebar should be epoxied i(or grouted) n place for max strength.

Hate for a storm to wreck your addition.

My two cents

I just noticed you don't have anything other than mortar to bond the new top row of blocks to the existing blocks. I think I would drill some holes into the top course of the old block, insert rebar and fill the cavity with concrete. It would add quite a bit of strength to the structure. Technically, the rebar should be epoxied i(or grouted) n place for max strength.

Hate for a storm to wreck your addition.

My two cents

Thanks for the input. I think I have it covered, but see the explanation below and tell me if you think I still need to do more...

The old cellar had every third hole filled. The two columns I demolished for the doorway had re-bar in them, so I assume that the others have rebar too. The were old bolts sticking out of the old brick to hold the sill down. I left the old bolts (with nuts) in the concrete and filled around them. My plan is that the old bolts will bond the new concrete to the old and hold it all together.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #36  
Too bad the cold war is over, that would make a great bomb shelter. I admire your grit doing so much work to recoup that cellar, I'm tired just reading about it.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #37  
Iplayfarmer said:
Thanks for the input. I think I have it covered, but see the explanation below and tell me if you think I still need to do more...

The old cellar had every third hole filled. The two columns I demolished for the doorway had re-bar in them, so I assume that the others have rebar too. The were old bolts sticking out of the old brick to hold the sill down. I left the old bolts (with nuts) in the concrete and filled around them. My plan is that the old bolts will bond the new concrete to the old and hold it all together.

I apologize. Could have swore I went back and looked at your pictures - don't know how I missed that. I guess I might have dozed off and just thought I did!

I am looking forward to reading about your project! Keep up the good work.

I apologize. Could have swore I went back and looked at your pictures - don't know how I missed that. I guess I might have dozed off and just thought I did!

I am looking forward to reading about your project! Keep up the good work.

No need to appologize. Please chime in again if you see something else I'm getting ready to do wrong. That's why I'm posting the progress here... so that guys like you can ask questions I may not have thought to ask.

Just keeping track of expenses again. I spent another $11 today on concrete.

Just keeping track of expenses again. I spent another $11 today on concrete.

Oh... And I spent $25 for some used roofing tin. I'll probably get some better stuff later when the funds come, but for now I need something to keep the rain off the workshop while I'm building with the materials I have.