Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #41  
Hmmmm......as much as I want to do it...I cannot use "used" tin on any of my projects...except the chicken coop;)

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Hmmmm......as much as I want to do it...I cannot use "used" tin on any of my projects...except the chicken coop;)

I know what you are saying. I'm planning on the tin being a temporary measure at best. I need something to keep the structure dry while I finish it. I hope I can find a deal on new tin sometime this summer so I can replace the old used stuff and do it right.

I'm paying for this shed out of my own little tractor/hobby budget. I'm building it as the money comes in for one piece at a time.

Progress report: I got the last concrete anchor bolt cemented in tonight. I assume that I did a good job on it. It was kind of dark by the time I got done. I'm planning on taking the trailer to work tomorrow so I can pick up the treated sill boards and the floor joists on the way home.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
I spent another $170 today on boards for the sill plate and sub floor.

The sill plate is in.

For the base plate on the doorway, I left about a half inch of the rebar sticking out above the treated board. I put 1/2" washers over the rebar and then mushroomed the heads with a maul.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 621
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #45  
For the base plate on the doorway, I left about a half inch of the rebar sticking out above the treated board. I put 1/2" washers over the rebar and then mushroomed the heads with a maul.

That will work and way cheaper that threaded bolts:thumbsup:

I spent another $28.56 today for joist hangers and a 2X12 for stair stringers. I didn't make any progress on the build, though. Summer is coming and the grass is getting dry. I had to get the irrigation pump primed and ready to irrigate.

I cut stair stringers tonight. They turned out okay for my first attempt. These will be for the stairs going down into the basement level. I figured it will be easier to install the stairs now before I get the floor joists all in. I also anticipate that I'll do a bit of running up and down these stairs as I put the floor joists in.

The stairs into the cellar are done.

I used old concrete forms for the treads because I'm cheap. But, if anyone asks I'm telling them it's because I wanted the stairs to match the color of the block and the cement floor.

Next Step = Phase 3: Framing.

Hopefully I get some time tonight to start framing the subfloor.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 928
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #49  
Iplayfarmer said:
The stairs into the cellar are done.

I used old concrete forms for the treads because I'm cheap. But, if anyone asks.....

I was reminded of Dirk Pitt, a character created by the novelist Clive Cussler. Pitt was always "Macgyverish" (thinking outside the box, creating something from nothing) and quoted as saying "Any port in a storm". So anytime I make do with what I have or is readily available - I always think of that quote!

Looks great!!

I was reminded of Dirk Pitt, a character created by the novelist Clive Cussler. Pitt was always "Macgyverish" (thinking outside the box, creating something from nothing) and quoted as saying "Any port in a storm". So anytime I make do with what I have or is readily available - I always think of that quote!

Looks great!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I think this whole project is going to be a master's thesis in making do with what I have.