Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    ...Hopefully I get some time tonight to start framing the subfloor.
    I got rained out tonight They say we might get snow.

Maybe I can find some time on Saturday.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor

Default Re: Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundatio

We got snow. I took this picture this morning when the snow had just started. It's been snowing steadily every since.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not in a hurry to get this thing finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-img_0338.jpg  
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL

The stairs into the cellar are done.

I used old concrete forms for the treads because I'm cheap. But, if anyone asks I'm telling them it's because I wanted the stairs to match the color of the block and the cement floor.

Next Step = Phase 3: Framing.

Hopefully I get some time tonight to start framing the subfloor.
    How about emphasizing the "non-slip" properties of that material. Remember: S&PC Builders Network guidelines!
    I miss Paul Harvey News!

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

snow?....it was 85 here today....;>o
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    snow?....it was 85 here today....;>o
    It snowed for most of the morning, but it was all melted before I left work. I've lived in Idaho most of my life, and I've learned to just roll with it.

Today I planted the corner posts. That process involved framing most of the floor. I put in any of the full floor joists that sat on the old cellar walls. Then I attached the rim joists. This framework provided the support to attach the post to so I could put concrete in the holes. I used 6 bags accross 4 holes. This left each hole not quite half full.

I'll go back probably on Monday and fill in the rest of the holes with the dirt that came out of them. After that I'll finish framing the floor. The transition between foundation and framing is a little blurred since I had to start some of the framing in order to finish the pole part of the foundation. Regardless, I think I am now done with foundation work and I am officially into the framing phase.

I spent $45 today on two extra boards and 6 bags of concrete mix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation-img_0342.jpg  

Tractor

I have a friend who is a roofer. He came through for me with shingles and everything I need for my roof for $140. When I priced it retail it was going to cost about $600 for the shingles alone, not to mention the tar paper, edge, etc. I got the leftover from a number of previous jobs. I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.

P.S. I did get a little more work done last night. I filled in the post holes and put up joist hangers on the overhang end.

Tractor
    2005 Kubota L5030 GST; Farmall 706

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer
    I have a friend who is a roofer. He came through for me with shingles and everything I need for my roof for $140. When I priced it retail it was going to cost about $600 for the shingles alone, not to mention the tar paper, edge, etc. I got the leftover from a number of previous jobs. I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.
    I would probably just inter mix them into a random pattern. Unless you have enough of each to do a side. The mix would be my first choice ( I think )
    Dean

I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.
    There was a barn I'd often drive past growing up that had the shingles in diagonal stripes, every bundle was a different color and just "stair-stepped" up in the shingling pattern. I think there were 4 or 5 colors, and while it might have looked better if they'd opened up several bundles and mixed-and-matched as they went...I bet it didn't leak.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Depmandog View Post
    I would probably just inter mix them into a random pattern. Unless you have enough of each to do a side. The mix would be my first choice ( I think )
    Quote Originally Posted by GLyford View Post
    There was a barn I'd often drive past growing up that had the shingles in diagonal stripes, every bundle was a different color and just "stair-stepped" up in the shingling pattern. I think there were 4 or 5 colors, and while it might have looked better if they'd opened up several bundles and mixed-and-matched as they went...I bet it didn't leak.
    Thanks for the input. I had been wondering about random vs. some type of organized pattern. It sounds like random is the preferred look. I welcome any other input. Pictures would be great if anyone knows of a roof that has been done in different colors.

I have at most 4 colors. I may try to keep 2 colors on one side and 2 colors on the other. Most of the shingles are a brown color. I have a handfull of grey, and I may have a few that are green. I may have a couple colors of brown. I'm thinking I'll put the grey and brown on one side, and the green and brown on the other.

Tractor
    Kubota 2900

I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.
    If there is a Mrs. Iplayfarmer... I would defer to her. If not, I would ask how different the shingles are?
    Some folks are lucky to be raised on a farm (with tractors), I am playing catch-up.

Pumkin~Kubota L2900 with bucket AKA FEL
    Abe~Ford250C
    Jack~John Deere 310 B Backhoe (learning to use this summer, so excited!!)
    Rusty Woods Brush Hog (that I lovingly sweep off after every mow, even if the boys laugh at me)
    BEFCO Cyclone finish mower
    AGCO New Idea 3709 Manure Spreader
    Pallet/Round Bale Fork
    Rake
    Fimco 25 gallon ATV sprayer with boom and wand
    Chain fence drag

Wish List:
    Grapple?

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast