Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
...Hopefully I get some time tonight to start framing the subfloor.

I got rained out tonight :( They say we might get snow.

Maybe I can find some time on Saturday.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
We got snow. I took this picture this morning when the snow had just started. It's been snowing steadily every since.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not in a hurry to get this thing finished.

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 655
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #53  
The stairs into the cellar are done.

I used old concrete forms for the treads because I'm cheap. But, if anyone asks I'm telling them it's because I wanted the stairs to match the color of the block and the cement floor.

Next Step = Phase 3: Framing.

Hopefully I get some time tonight to start framing the subfloor.

How about emphasizing the "non-slip" properties of that material. Remember: S&PC Builders Network guidelines!:D:thumbsup:

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #54  
snow?....it was 85 here today....;>o

snow?....it was 85 here today....;>o

It snowed for most of the morning, but it was all melted before I left work. I've lived in Idaho most of my life, and I've learned to just roll with it.

Today I planted the corner posts. That process involved framing most of the floor. I put in any of the full floor joists that sat on the old cellar walls. Then I attached the rim joists. This framework provided the support to attach the post to so I could put concrete in the holes. I used 6 bags accross 4 holes. This left each hole not quite half full.

I'll go back probably on Monday and fill in the rest of the holes with the dirt that came out of them. After that I'll finish framing the floor. The transition between foundation and framing is a little blurred since I had to start some of the framing in order to finish the pole part of the foundation. Regardless, I think I am now done with foundation work and I am officially into the framing phase.

I spent $45 today on two extra boards and 6 bags of concrete mix.

Attachments

• IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 875
I have a friend who is a roofer. He came through for me with shingles and everything I need for my roof for $140. When I priced it retail it was going to cost about $600 for the shingles alone, not to mention the tar paper, edge, etc. I got the leftover from a number of previous jobs. I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.

P.S. I did get a little more work done last night. I filled in the post holes and put up joist hangers on the overhang end.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #57  
Iplayfarmer said:
I have a friend who is a roofer. He came through for me with shingles and everything I need for my roof for $140. When I priced it retail it was going to cost about $600 for the shingles alone, not to mention the tar paper, edge, etc. I got the leftover from a number of previous jobs. I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.

I would probably just inter mix them into a random pattern. Unless you have enough of each to do a side. The mix would be my first choice ( I think :) )

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #58  
I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.

There was a barn I'd often drive past growing up that had the shingles in diagonal stripes, every bundle was a different color and just "stair-stepped" up in the shingling pattern. I think there were 4 or 5 colors, and while it might have looked better if they'd opened up several bundles and mixed-and-matched as they went...I bet it didn't leak. ;)

I would probably just inter mix them into a random pattern. Unless you have enough of each to do a side. The mix would be my first choice ( I think :) )

There was a barn I'd often drive past growing up that had the shingles in diagonal stripes, every bundle was a different color and just "stair-stepped" up in the shingling pattern. I think there were 4 or 5 colors, and while it might have looked better if they'd opened up several bundles and mixed-and-matched as they went...I bet it didn't leak. ;)

Thanks for the input. I had been wondering about random vs. some type of organized pattern. It sounds like random is the preferred look. I welcome any other input. Pictures would be great if anyone knows of a roof that has been done in different colors.

I have at most 4 colors. I may try to keep 2 colors on one side and 2 colors on the other. Most of the shingles are a brown color. I have a handfull of grey, and I may have a few that are green. I may have a couple colors of brown. I'm thinking I'll put the grey and brown on one side, and the green and brown on the other.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #60  
I have a couple of different colors, so you can all chime in with how awkward and silly it's going to look.

If there is a Mrs. Iplayfarmer... I would defer to her. :laughing: If not, I would ask how different the shingles are?