Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #71  
36" away from an unprotected wall. That's for your stove pipe and any stove that's not rated (tagged). Single wall radiant stoves are 36" clearance.

Keep in mind the flue exhaust on a stove may come out the back or the top. If it comes out the top, and you had your chimney preset at 36". - you would have to install a heat shield on the wall (assuming radiant SW stove.) The back of the stove would be closer than 36".

200 SF. Won't take much to heat that. Personally think the floor space a stove would take up makes it impractical. Plus the chimney cost (it's not cheap). As was mentioned - ventless propane wall unit would be perfect.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
36" away from an unprotected wall. That's for your stove pipe and any stove that's not rated (tagged). Single wall radiant stoves are 36" clearance.

Keep in mind the flue exhaust on a stove may come out the back or the top. If it comes out the top, and you had your chimney preset at 36". - you would have to install a heat shield on the wall (assuming radiant SW stove.) The back of the stove would be closer than 36".

200 SF. Won't take much to heat that. Personally think the floor space a stove would take up makes it impractical. Plus the chimney cost (it's not cheap). As was mentioned - ventless propane wall unit would be perfect.

Yeah. A 36" clearance puts the stove right in the middle of the room. The only reason I thought wood stove was because I could bring the temp up from -20 to about 50 faster with a bigger heat source.

For the space I'd have to give up for the stove, I can afford to plan an hour or so ahead for a little space heater to work.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #73  
Probably wouldn't be hard to put in a programmable thermostat - that way you could set it the night before to start heating before you planned on working out there. If you use a kerosene heater....scratch my head on that.

Electric baseboard would be super easy for a programmable Thermo. Even a portable electric heater could be plugged into a timer circuit ( like I used to use for my block heater on the diesel.)

If this is fairly close to the house - you could run a switch leg back into the house and turn in your heating source before your morning coffee.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Probably wouldn't be hard to put in a programmable thermostat - that way you could set it the night before to start heating before you planned on working out there. If you use a kerosene heater....scratch my head on that.

Electric baseboard would be super easy for a programmable Thermo. Even a portable electric heater could be plugged into a timer circuit ( like I used to use for my block heater on the diesel.)

If this is fairly close to the house - you could run a switch leg back into the house and turn in your heating source before your morning coffee.

I'm planning to run a few Cat 5e cables and some coax in the trench with the power line. It probably wouldn't be that hard to include something that would control a heater.

I like the switch idea mainly because it reminds me of the Steven Wright Joke...
I recently moved into a new apartment, and there was this switch on the wall that didn't do anything...so anytime I had nothing to do, I'd just flick that switch up and down...up and down...up and down....Then one day I got a letter from a woman in Germany...it just said, "Cut it out."

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #75  
Steven Wright - I love his humor!! Use to have XM radio, and the comedy channel was all I listened to. Fortunately, a local FM station switched to an all comedy format - so XM went away.

SW "I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran around in circles."

and

"Well, you know when you're rocking in a rocking chair, and you go so far that you almost fall over backwards, but at the last instant you catch yourself? That's how I feel all the time."

The guy is hilarious!!

"Well, you know when you're rocking in a rocking chair, and you go so far that you almost fall over backwards, but at the last instant you catch yourself? That's how I feel all the time."

The guy is hilarious!!

The one similar that I heard was, "You know when you go upstairs and you think there's one more step but there isn't? That's how I feel all the time."

I think my favorite is, "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time."

I bought more lumber today... $31

I finished the floor framing today. I thought about putting the subfloor on, but after I get my framing nailer back I'm going to put in some blocking. That will likely be easier with the subfloor off. I'm also considering putting in the floor insulation before I put the subfloor on.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 753
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #79  
Iplayfarmer said:
I finished the floor framing today. I thought about putting the subfloor on, but after I get my framing nailer back I'm going to put in some blocking. That will likely be easier with the subfloor off. I'm also considering putting in the floor insulation before I put the subfloor on.

I would wait to insulate until you get your building weather tight. If rain gets to your insulation, if it doesn't pull it down, it will hold water and most likely mold the wood. Wet insulation is worthless insulation IMHO.

Framing job looks great.

I would wait to insulate until you get your building weather tight. If rain gets to your insulation, if it doesn't pull it down, it will hold water and most likely mold the wood. Wet insulation is worthless insulation IMHO.

Framing job looks great.

Okay. How big of a deal is the moisture barrier on the insulation? The reason I ask is because the reason I was thinking of installing the insulation first is so that I could put the moisture barrier side of the insulation up.

The downstairs will not be heated, but I hope that it stays above freezing due to the natural temperature regulating tendencies of being in the ground. The upstairs will be heated periodically. Is it going to be a big deal if I put the insulation in "upsidedown" from the basement side later?