Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I've designed. I've priced materials. I've completed some other projects. Now it's time to test how skilled I really am.

I have (had) and old root cellar that I don't need, and I need a workshop and more storage space that I don't have. The roof of the root cellar was rotted very badly. I either needed to plow the whole thing in or replace the roof. So, I'm going to replace the roof with a whole workshop.

The original dimensions of the root cellar are 10' X 10' (outside). That will become a storage area that I hope doesn't freeze in the winter. I'm going to extend the footprint above by using some poles for a finished workspace that is 12' X 16'. I know that this is miniature scale compared to some of the beautiful shops built on this forum, but it fits the scale of my place.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Phase 1: Demolition

I had visions of removing the old roof one piece at a time and neatly stacking the pieces on my trailer to haul it off to the landfill. After 20 minutes I had removed one piece of flashing. So, I fired up Little Red and 20 minutes later I had the whole roof off. I'm in the clean up stage now. Most of the big pieces are on the trailer, but I have a lot of little debris that I still need to clean up.

See below for some before, during and after pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 1,457
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 1,579
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #3  
Sounds like a good project. One thing I'd be careful of is possible frost heave of the foundation of your root cellar. If you expose the foundation of the root cellar to freezing air temperatures, you could get frost heave. I'd make sure you seal the new ceiling of the cellar really well to keep it above freezing down there. It looks like the foundation wall is pretty well insulated in the photo, make sure you repair that insulation to help keep the temps up.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation
Sounds like a good project. One thing I'd be careful of is possible frost heave of the foundation of your root cellar. If you expose the foundation of the root cellar to freezing air temperatures, you could get frost heave. I'd make sure you seal the new ceiling of the cellar really well to keep it above freezing down there. It looks like the foundation wall is pretty well insulated in the photo, make sure you repair that insulation to help keep the temps up.

Thanks for the tip. I do plan to insulate the foundation. We'll sometimes get below -40 and stay there for a week or so in the dead of winter. If I'm going to keep my paint from freezing, I'll have to insulate really well.

I'm still in the demolition phase. I cut the brick out of the old cellar where I want the door to go. See the before and after pictures. I did it all with a Harbor Freight angle grinder with their masonry blades, a Harbor Freight rotary hammer, and a sledge hammer. I'll have to go back tomorrow when I have some daylight and clean up some of the rough stuff left in the middle on the right side. I'll also cut off the rebar.

Sad story, too. I got a measuring tape from my kids this last Christmas. At one point when I was measuring to mark my cuts I put the tape up on the top of the wall. The tape fell into one of the cavities in the brick and went all the way to the bottom. It's there forever now. Sad Day.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 825
   / Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #6  
If you've got a strong magnet, tie it to a rope and drop it down the hole. You might be able to fish the tape out...

Just a thought...

If you've got a strong magnet, tie it to a rope and drop it down the hole. You might be able to fish the tape out...

Just a thought...

I may try that. The tape has a plastic houseing, but I may be able to grab the hook on the end of the tape and get it back that way.

Advice time...

I want to put a concrete perimeter in the basement part of this build so that I can set shelves on it.

How in the world am I going to do concrete down in this pit? My current vision is that I'll just do a 3' perimeter leaving a dirt spot in the middle. I'll set boards and screed the concrete, then hand float it.

I'll leave the little 2' X 2' dirt space in the middle so I still have the option of storing root vegetables down there if I want and so that I have a place to stand when I'm floating the cement.

A 3' perimeter in this space is less than a yard of concrete.

/ Root Cellar Remodel, Split Level Storage, Shop, Shed Pole Building on a Foundation #9  
Advice time...

I want to put a concrete perimeter in the basement part of this build so that I can set shelves on it.

How in the world am I going to do concrete down in this pit? My current vision is that I'll just do a 3' perimeter leaving a dirt spot in the middle. I'll set boards and screed the concrete, then hand float it.

I'll leave the little 2' X 2' dirt space in the middle so I still have the option of storing root vegetables down there if I want and so that I have a place to stand when I'm floating the cement.

A 3' perimeter in this space is less than a yard of concrete.

IP, I read this 3 times....I don't understand what you mean:confused:

So(unrelated to the above), are you going to have a 12x16 shed/shop on top of the 10x10 cellar, or just add to ones side?

IP, I read this 3 times....I don't understand what you mean:confused:

So(unrelated to the above), are you going to have a 12x16 shed/shop on top of the 10x10 cellar, or just add to ones side?

I know I'm crazy. I'm putting a 12' X 16' workshop on top of a 10' X 10' root cellar. I'm planning to have the 10' X 10' be under one corner of the shop, and then I'll support the other 3 corners with poles in the ground. There's some more detail about the idea, including a few pictures, here... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/156328-need-opinions-small-work-space.html

The current question at hand is in regard to the floor of the existing 10' X 10' Cellar. I'm going to put shelves in this area, and I think I'll be better off if I can put concrete down to support the shelves. But, to save cost and make the job easier, I'm considering just putting the concrete around the perimeter. This will also leave the dirt space in the middle so I can store root vegetables if I decide to.