my deck/patio project

/ my deck/patio project #1  

Chooglin

Gold Member
Tractor
Bolens 1468 - MF GC2310
I know how much I enjoy following some of the projects that have been posted,so I thought I would share mine.
I started this project last summer,when I installed the french doors in the back of the house.

Attachments

• doors.JPG
    doors.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 527
  • framing.JPG
    framing.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 585
   / my deck/patio project
This year I am going to get the deck/patio finished (with the help of my dad)
just to catch everyone up on where I am with the project,I have the ledger board hung,layed out where to drills the holes,drilled the holes tuesday and mixed the concrete yesterday.
I will be setting five of the eight post today.
I will post pics and comments as I go.

Attachments

• ledger board.JPG
    ledger board.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 777
  • drilling holes.JPG
    drilling holes.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 510
  • cleaning out holes.JPG
    cleaning out holes.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 491
  • mixing concrete.JPG
    mixing concrete.JPG
    327.6 KB · Views: 499
   / my deck/patio project
short video of my GC2310 drilling the holes.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De--bDdkiF8&feature=channel]GC2310 post hole digging - YouTube[/ame]

/ my deck/patio project #4  
Just wondering why you decided to go the ledger board route??

Personally, I dont like the ledger method. I like setting posts next to the house. Several reasons. (I am sure there are also good reasons to use a ledger)

First, where I live, anything attached to the house has different (more strict) codes to follow.

Second, If it is an "attachment" to the house, homeowners insurance goes up a tad. Not much but still...

Third, I dont like the idea of peeling siding off and risking NOT getting it sealed back up good causing rot to the house.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, because lots of decks are built that way. I just never understood or heard a good reason. That is why I have always set posts and had a "free" standing deck.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted with pleanty of pics:thumbsup:

/ my deck/patio project #5  
The reason for the ledger board is because that's how it's always done on This Old House.

/ my deck/patio project #6  
The reason for the ledger board is because that's how it's always done on This Old House.

I still dont like it. And for the cost of the ledger board + proper fastners + joist hangers,

I can set additional short posts next to the house, and attach a headder to it, and just let the joists set on the header:thumbsup:

/ my deck/patio project #7  
Using a ledger board is easier. Less holes to dig and less concrete to deal with.:thumbsup:

/ my deck/patio project
Just wondering why you decided to go the ledger board route??

Personally, I dont like the ledger method. I like setting posts next to the house. Several reasons. (I am sure there are also good reasons to use a ledger)

First, where I live, anything attached to the house has different (more strict) codes to follow.

Second, If it is an "attachment" to the house, homeowners insurance goes up a tad. Not much but still...

Third: I dont like the idea of peeling siding off and risking NOT getting it sealed back up good causing rot to the house.

Not saying you are doing anything wrong, because lots of decks are built that way. I just never understood or heard a good reason. That is why I have always set posts and had a "free" standing deck.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted with pleanty of pics:thumbsup:

First:I have no problem with following the "codes"

Second:my insurance on my vehicle goes up when I buy new also (its an improvement).

Third: provided you flash the ledger board properly,there should be no concern of rot.

I hope you dont take my comment as being a "wise ***", I am just being realistic.

I just feel that it makes for a more rigid deck and it is much easier to hang a ledger board instead of drilling and setting an additional 5 post.

/ my deck/patio project #9  
I just feel that it makes for a more rigid deck and it is much easier to hang a ledger board instead of drilling and setting an additional 5 post.

No I dont think you are being a wise @$$. And I hope you didnt take my comments that way either. I was just curious, cause I never new why soo many people choose the ledger board method.

I guess for me, a few more holes and a few more bags of concrete is easier than dealing with vinyl siding and flashing. But for others and you, the ledger may be easier.

/ my deck/patio project
5 of the post are in.the 3 emmpty holes will be
getting 3 more 6x6x16 post, that will be for the pergola
over the concrete patio.
Tomorrow I will be removing the top soil under the deck area
to lay plastic and gravel,then I will be hanging the support beams.
If time allows,I hope to hang some of the floor joist.
thats all for today.

Attachments

• 5 post in.JPG
    5 post in.JPG
    416.2 KB · Views: 936
  • 5 post in (2).JPG
    5 post in (2).JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 913