Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank?

/ Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank? #11  
I have built two hoop houses like that but they won't survive a low megaton blast like yours we raise broilers in them. No wheels on ours we can drag by hand or use a quad. I think your gonna need something bigger. Take a small box and cut a hole in two ends the chicks will gather there at night and keep each other warm at night. You can feed chickens table scraps if you like they eat just about anything you toss in the pen. If you are going to keep them on there you will need some nesting boxes to lay their eggs in. That's the best part fresh eggs. Have never had an issue with critters getting into the hoop house. Once they get bigger you will want to put a roosting pole in there as well. You will be able to let them out during the day with the door open and you will find them in there at dusk. Close the door and there good till the am. Have fun and enjoy. Nice job on that hoop tank btw

/ Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank? #12  
The taller wheels will allows critters to dig under the coop. Being able to move the coop by hand would be nice but I am not sure if we will do it much. The wheels were danged expensive as it was and the bigger better tires are even more money. I looked at wheel barrow tires which would certainly handle the ground but given we might not move the coop much I will just wait and see. The wheel barrow tires where a lot more money and I was trying to stay away from tires that would leak.
This is what I mean by offset axles.
Moving the tractor is kind of important for several reason
1 The chickens will have access to more plants and bugs each time you move it
2 The soil will get toxic if the chickens are left in one place for extended periods. This can cause problems in the wet weather.
3 a fox will dig under this coop and the easiest way to fix that is move the coop.
If your like me you'll find that there are plenty of daytime predators willing to get your birds. Around here you can't stand out side very long without seeing or hearing a hawk or some type of raptor. These guys don't fool around. They will snatch your birds in the blink of an eye.
I like to let the birds roam, but If I get complacent I lose birds.
You've already spent a bundle, and these wheels, like the other parts can be re-used.
My design will have removable wheels, so they won't be exposed to the elements.
View attachment offset axle.pdf

Last edited:
   / Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank?
I have built two hoop houses like that but they won't survive a low megaton blast like yours we raise broilers in them. No wheels on ours we can drag by hand or use a quad. I think your gonna need something bigger. Take a small box and cut a hole in two ends the chicks will gather there at night and keep each other warm at night. You can feed chickens table scraps if you like they eat just about anything you toss in the pen. If you are going to keep them on there you will need some nesting boxes to lay their eggs in. That's the best part fresh eggs. Have never had an issue with critters getting into the hoop house. Once they get bigger you will want to put a roosting pole in there as well. You will be able to let them out during the day with the door open and you will find them in there at dusk. Close the door and there good till the am. Have fun and enjoy. Nice job on that hoop tank btw

but they won't survive a low megaton blast
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

The box is a good idea. For a couple of nights this week I think it will be warm enough to leave them outside. We use the box we keep them in inside the house on its side and leave the heat lamp on.

I put some 2x2s in the coop for the birds to roost on and even at this young age they are able to fly up to the perches for a sit.

We will have to keep the chickens in the coop or build covered areas for them to range. We have quite a few hawks and owls along with the four legged critters. At night the chicken will have to be locked up or they will not survive long.

Right now I can move the coop if I lay down 2x4s so the wheels have something easy to roll on. 5/4x6x 8 boards would be better to use but I have 2x4s. :D The wheels on this thing are the weak link for sure. That PT wood is still wet and heavy. Right now the coop is on some gravel, and while I can lift one end, dragging the coop does not really work. Thus the use of the 2x4s as rails. :laughing:

To move the Chicken Tractor/Tank very far I would have to use the JD tractor. :D

Later,
Dan

This is what I mean by offset axles.
Moving the tractor is kind of important for several reason
1 The chickens will have access to more plants and bugs each time you move it
2 The soil will get toxic if the chickens are left in one place for extended periods. This can cause problems in the wet weather.
3 a fox will dig under this coop and the easiest way to fix that is move the coop.
If your like me you'll find that there are plenty of daytime predators willing to get your birds. Around here you can't stand out side very long without seeing or hearing a hawk or some type of raptor. These guys don't fool around. They will snatch your birds in the blink of an eye.
I like to let the birds roam, but If I get complacent I lose birds.
You've already spent a bundle, and these wheels, like the other parts can be re-used.
My design will have removable wheels, so they won't be exposed to the elements.
View attachment 259770

Like you, we have plenty of hawks flying around during the day as well as buzzards. Not sure if the buzzards would attack life chickens but I don't want to find out. The hawks and buzzards are on full time CAP over the house so I don't think the chickens can ever free range until we build them covered runs. Our idea is to build multiple runs in the yard tied into the garden fence as well as in the woods. This way we can rotate which which runs the chicken use to allow the "grass" to recover.

The community college was doing this with T posts and fence but they are more in town and do not the the predators we have at our place. I have a couple of ideas but I am not sure which one will work best and be cheapest.....

I am worried about the coyotes and foxes. Our ground is a mixture of clay and rocks. Digging is not easy and I don't think the coyotes or foxes could dig under the coop in one night. Especially when the ground dries out shortly. I might give the Chicken Tank some skirts aka more wire mesh that lays on the ground to stop digging. I had to do this years ago with a bored GSD and it worked great.

Moving the coop is easy when I put it on 2x4 "rails". The problem with the offset design is picking up one end of the coop. This thing is heavy. :eek: Mostly due to the PT wood. I think when the PT woods dries out the weight will be manageable but right now it is heavy and picking up one end is interesting. :laughing: The other problem with the 1/2 hardware clothe is that the mesh keeps you from getting a hand hold while standing on the outside of the coop. You pretty much have to go inside the coop to get a handhold.

Right now the 2x4 rails are working. I think 5/4x6 boards would work better as rails. The other problem with these little wheels is TURNING. That will have to be done carefully..... Bigger, air filled tires would be better...

Later,
Dan

/ Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank? #15  
I started on mine but its taking me alittle longer than planned:D
chicken coop.jpg

/ Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank? #16  
One trick that might help moving the coop by hand is to use a handtruck to pick up the end opposite the wheels. The leverage makes it easy to lift and you have a good handle to pull with. I agree with the others that larger/wider wheels might help. A taller wheel does not have to lift the coop higher, just mount the axle higher. If you mount the wheels behind the coop, it might take less lift on the front to move it, one of those angle/geometry things.
that is a nice looking coop, not going to let my wife see it anytime soon:thumbsup:

/ Chicken Tractor or Chicken Tank? #17  
Over the door the squirrels will get in. I have one that is the devil, I plan on getting him this summer.
Nice build, chickens are a whole lot of fun, enjoy!

I started on mine but its taking me alittle longer than planned:D
View attachment 260058

My took a LOT less longer than planned. :D I figured I had a least two months to build but them chicks where growing, and ARE growing, too fast. I need to fix the gap at the top of the door so the chicks can stay outside at night. The last two nights have been too cold even if the door was fixed.

Is that 1/2 hardware cloth you are using?

Did you bury it in the ground to prevent critters from digging into the coop?

A coworker's family member just lost 40 chickens. A critter, sounded like a weasel, got into the coop through a small hole and killed all of his chickens. :eek:

Later,
Dan

One trick that might help moving the coop by hand is to use a handtruck to pick up the end opposite the wheels. The leverage makes it easy to lift and you have a good handle to pull with. I agree with the others that larger/wider wheels might help. A taller wheel does not have to lift the coop higher, just mount the axle higher. If you mount the wheels behind the coop, it might take less lift on the front to move it, one of those angle/geometry things.
that is a nice looking coop, not going to let my wife see it anytime soon:thumbsup:

I have a couple of hand truck but there wheels are not much different in size than what I installed on the Chicken Tank. When then ground is wet, like now, the tires would just sink I am afraid. I would really have to get large air filled tires to handle the worst of the ground conditions we have or use "rails" to run on.

After what happened to a coworker's family member's chickens, I am rethinking the need to put fencing on the ground to prevent digging....

Later,
Dan

Over the door the squirrels will get in. I have one that is the devil, I plan on getting him this summer.
Nice build, chickens are a whole lot of fun, enjoy!

I was dragged into Chicken Farming....

I have to admit the chicken are fun to watch. I was talking with some coworkers yesterday and I used the word, "cute" a couple of times regarding the chickens. I really caught some grief for calling the chickens cute. :D

They are though. :laughing:

They ARE fun to watch. One of them is follows our youngest around and the little chick will sit contently in her lap. The Chickens are pets as I knew they would be....

If a bug gets into the coop, well it is Chicken TV. Fun to watch them around chasing the bug and then chasing the chicken who caught the bug. :D

Later,
Dan