Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Default It has finally begun...

Having about 10 acres out of ~100 cleared to make room for planting some fruit/nut trees as well as a few larger foodplots and garden area. Also, will be building a pole barn fairly soon with the intent on closing it off and making it livable to an extent.

My idea to build a pole shed to house the tractors and implements has been hijacked by pops who wants to make this the Taj Mahal of pole sheds. I'm not going to argue as all the "upgrades" will be bankrolled by him, but things may take a little longer because of this.

Loggers started yesterday and should be finished in a few more days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dscn1088-jpg   -dscn1089-jpg   -dscn1090-jpg   -dscn1092-jpg   -dscn1093-jpg  

-dscn1094-jpg   -dscn1095-jpg   -dscn1098-jpg  
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Default Re: It has finally begun...

This will definitely be a work in progress and I will be turning to y'all for advice...be prepared!
    "The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function." -
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Any person is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts and outcomes. So one may believe as they will, but will be held accountable by the numbers for their beliefs. At the end of the day, life is a school of probability. Jesse via Jesse's Cafe Americain

Tractor
    Kubota L3800

Are they pulling the stumps as they go so you can food plot more easily? Looks like a fun project is getting started.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by tractorshopper View Post
    Are they pulling the stumps as they go so you can food plot more easily? Looks like a fun project is getting started.
    No, and that may ultimately be a problem, but the areas they are clearing have already had every other row taken out about 4-5 years ago so those stumps are rotten/rotting away. In between each new stump row is about 15-18' of room so my plan is to work the areas between the new stumps until they rot.
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

As of now, only about 20 acres of the 100 is accessible by tractor/4wheeler. Having loggers cut us a road (said they'd do it for free) about 400 yds long through the woods. Mostly pines/scrub oaks, but there are a few larger hardwoods back there I'd love to clean up around and fertilize.

Also started cutting some trees they cut down for some firewood this upcoming winter. Figure I'll take advantage of anything on the ground that isn't pine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -tree-jpg   -wood-jpg  
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Looks good!!

Tractor
    John Deere GX345

Very excited about watching your progress ... as always the more pictures you post the better. Thanks for sharing the experience ... you may be surprised by the amount of 'viewers' you'll have watching and enjoying your progress/project!

Tractor
    John Deere 820 utility, John Deere 5525, 997 JD Zmower, Komatsu PC 35 miniExcavator

I hear you on the "Pops hi-jacked the pole shed".
    I poured a first class slab that sat for 9 months debating over barn design. He had champagne tastes on a beer budget. We ended up with a nice end result,
    But not a Ralph Lauren Polo Barn....

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdlittlepig View Post
    Very excited about watching your progress ... as always the more pictures you post the better. Thanks for sharing the experience ... you may be surprised by the amount of 'viewers' you'll have watching and enjoying your progress/project!
    I'm excited, too. Going to be a lot of work cleaning up so we can start the "fun" part of actually planting things. I'd love to get an aerial shot of the cleared area to help map out locations of trees and whatnot.

Y'all feel free to chime in and get me back on track should I veer off the path
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1533

Quote Originally Posted by Wnc3 View Post
    I hear you on the "Pops hi-jacked the pole shed".
    I poured a first class slab that sat for 9 months debating over barn design. He had champagne tastes on a beer budget. We ended up with a nice end result,
    But not a Ralph Lauren Polo Barn....
    Probably end up being the same thing here, but we shall see.
    Prof. Al Bartlett

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast