It has finally begun...

/ It has finally begun... #1  

schoolsout

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533
Having about 10 acres out of ~100 cleared to make room for planting some fruit/nut trees as well as a few larger foodplots and garden area. Also, will be building a pole barn fairly soon with the intent on closing it off and making it livable to an extent.

My idea to build a pole shed to house the tractors and implements has been hijacked by pops who wants to make this the Taj Mahal of pole sheds. I'm not going to argue as all the "upgrades" will be bankrolled by him, but things may take a little longer because of this.

Loggers started yesterday and should be finished in a few more days.

Attachments

• DSCN1088.jpg
    DSCN1088.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 735
  • DSCN1089.jpg
    DSCN1089.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCN1090.jpg
    DSCN1090.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 443
  • DSCN1092.jpg
    DSCN1092.jpg
    936 KB · Views: 471
  • DSCN1098.jpg
    DSCN1098.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 670
  • DSCN1095.jpg
    DSCN1095.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCN1094.jpg
    DSCN1094.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 474
  • DSCN1093.jpg
    DSCN1093.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 486
   / It has finally begun...
This will definitely be a work in progress and I will be turning to y'all for advice...be prepared!

/ It has finally begun... #3  
Are they pulling the stumps as they go so you can food plot more easily? Looks like a fun project is getting started.

Are they pulling the stumps as they go so you can food plot more easily? Looks like a fun project is getting started.

No, and that may ultimately be a problem, but the areas they are clearing have already had every other row taken out about 4-5 years ago so those stumps are rotten/rotting away. In between each new stump row is about 15-18' of room so my plan is to work the areas between the new stumps until they rot.

As of now, only about 20 acres of the 100 is accessible by tractor/4wheeler. Having loggers cut us a road (said they'd do it for free) about 400 yds long through the woods. Mostly pines/scrub oaks, but there are a few larger hardwoods back there I'd love to clean up around and fertilize.

Also started cutting some trees they cut down for some firewood this upcoming winter. Figure I'll take advantage of anything on the ground that isn't pine.

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 433
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 625
   / It has finally begun... #7  
Very excited about watching your progress ... as always the more pictures you post the better. Thanks for sharing the experience ... you may be surprised by the amount of 'viewers' you'll have watching and enjoying your progress/project!

/ It has finally begun... #8  
I hear you on the "Pops hi-jacked the pole shed".
I poured a first class slab that sat for 9 months debating over barn design. He had champagne tastes on a beer budget. We ended up with a nice end result,
But not a Ralph Lauren Polo Barn....

Very excited about watching your progress ... as always the more pictures you post the better. Thanks for sharing the experience ... you may be surprised by the amount of 'viewers' you'll have watching and enjoying your progress/project!

I'm excited, too. Going to be a lot of work cleaning up so we can start the "fun" part of actually planting things. I'd love to get an aerial shot of the cleared area to help map out locations of trees and whatnot.

Y'all feel free to chime in and get me back on track should I veer off the path :)

I hear you on the "Pops hi-jacked the pole shed".
I poured a first class slab that sat for 9 months debating over barn design. He had champagne tastes on a beer budget. We ended up with a nice end result,
But not a Ralph Lauren Polo Barn....

Probably end up being the same thing here, but we shall see.