Gravel drive dust control

/ Gravel drive dust control #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
Anyone ever spread calcium chloride pellets on gravel drive to keep dust down. I'm thinking of trying it on our drive. I have a broadcast pull behind spreader and a drop spreader that I could use. Wonder if it would work.

/ Gravel drive dust control #2  
I am not sure of how it would help with dust control but when you mix it with water it is highly corrosive on metal pats. Calcium Chloride and water is what most tire places use to put fluid in tires for extra weight, doesn't hurt the rubber tires or innertubes but I have seen it eat the valve core out of a tube and have seen many rims trashed because of leaks. I can't even imagine what that will do to the underside of your vehicles when it rains.

/ Gravel drive dust control #3  
When I was a kid (1950s in Tenn) they use to spray used motor oil on the gravel roads to combat the dust. I doubt you would get away with that now.

/ Gravel drive dust control #4  
Anyone ever spread calcium chloride pellets on gravel drive to keep dust down. I'm thinking of trying it on our drive. I have a broadcast pull behind spreader and a drop spreader that I could use. Wonder if it would work.

Calcium and Magnesium salts are commonly used for dust control. They're hydrophilic (enjoy water), so they have a tendency to keep moisture at the road-bed surface.

IME they aren't the greatest for household driveways, because they can make some dirt stick to your feet- which then gets tracked into the house.

/ Gravel drive dust control #5  
I did exactly as you are describing at our last house on the gravel road that went by...Worked great. There were dry spells where I would have to spray some water on the road to keep it active but usually just the periodic rains and morning dew would suffice.

/ Gravel drive dust control #6  
When I was a kid (1950s in Tenn) they use to spray used motor oil on the gravel roads to combat the dust.
1*I doubt you would get away with that now.

Anyone ever spread calcium chloride pellets on gravel drive to keep dust down.
2*I'm thinking of trying it on our drive. I have a broadcast pull behind spreader and a drop spreader that I could use. Wonder if it would work.

1*Why not it's his own drive weay?
2*Don't even think about it.

/ Gravel drive dust control #7  
My buddy has his lane done with a by-product of the dairy industry. They spray it on and it lasts all summer and there is no odour. Not sure exactly what it is but may be able to find out.

Last edited:
   / Gravel drive dust control #8  
If you spray any chloride product you'll attract critters, they like to lick it. When I was in Maine the moose were standing all over the road licking the gravel after they spread that stuff.

/ Gravel drive dust control #9  
When I was a kid (1950s in Tenn) they use to spray used motor oil on the gravel roads to combat the dust. I doubt you would get away with that now.
sure we still do it mix burnt motor oil thin it with some kerosene and that works alot better than putting salt on it then paying to fix rust on your car or truck :thumbsup:

/ Gravel drive dust control #10  
There is a polymer based on soy oil used for the purpose. I think even miltary uses that to make dust free landing pads for helicopters. It is expensive though. The company that makes such product is called Dustkill.