Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad?

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #1  

clovergamecock

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4WD FEL
I am trying to plan for adding a concrete pad to my driveway for extra parking and my sons basketball goal.. Is there a way I can estimate the cost myself so I am prepared when I do call for estimates?

Also is there prep work that I can do myself to save some money like digging, framing etc? Are there people that will just come in pour and spread?

Thanks
Wade

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #2  
Yep - level to about 1" of being on grade, Form it up and really that is 90% of it there. Make sure you get fiber or wire in it for support on the est. Also if you go on line you can find a concrete estimator on a ton of sites and just put the width, thickness and length and it will give you the # of yards. Call a local concrete supply and ask what they charge for a yard (around here about $100 for normal 4000psi concrete is the going rate) and you can get an idea of the concrete price. The metal (wire) can be found at Home depot and you can get a rough estimate off that of the cost.
As for what a contractor will charge to pour and finish that is too local for me to guess.
Good luck!

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #3  
Like was stated in previous post, you will have to find out what concrete goes for in your area and if you are gonna get someone to come in and pour and finish it for you there is a good chance that they can get it cheaper than you can as they probably order concrete weely from the plant. Just a rule of thumb a slab 3and1/2"to 4" thick one yard will pour about 81 square feet, if your gonna park heavier stuff such as equipment on it, it needs to be thicker.Forming is pretty easy if you know how to square something up, if not you can learn fairly easily by using the 3,4 and 5 method or 6,8 and 10. Good luck.

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad?
Thanks guys. Here are probably a few dumb questions.

1. If I have an area level with my current driveway pad do I use my tractor and box blade to scrape down 4"?
  2. What do I use for framing, 2x4's?
  3. Do I need to put gravel domn and then rebar and then have them poor the concrete?
  4. Is there any how to sites?
  5. What is the 3,4 and 5 method or 6,8 and 10.

Thanks
Wade

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #5  
Thanks guys. Here are probably a few dumb questions.

1. If I have an area level with my current driveway pad do I use my tractor and box blade to scrape down 4"?
  2. What do I use for framing, 2x4's?
  3. Do I need to put gravel domn and then rebar and then have them poor the concrete?
  4. Is there any how to sites?
  5. What is the 3,4 and 5 method or 6,8 and 10.

Thanks
Wade
1. Use what works the best
2. 3.5"-4" slab, 2x4's are sufficient
3. any added substrate equates to more excavation, look at your base soil and if lacks drainage make the adjustments.
4. google how to pour a slab
5. The 3-4-5, or 6-8-10 method

Good luck

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #6  
Based on your questions, spend the extra few bucks and pay a concrete crew to do everything. It sounds like they will end up charging you to fix your formwork anyway and it will all be for not. I learned and continue to learn to pay people to do what they are professionals at and spend my time doing what I am a professional at. Things just turn out better this way.

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #7  
Based on your questions, spend the extra few bucks and pay a concrete crew to do everything. It sounds like they will end up charging you to fix your form work anyway and it will all be for not. I learned and continue to learn to pay people to do what they are professionals at and spend my time doing what I am a professional at. Things just turn out better this way.

Or make a practice pad in the back yard somewhere to learn on. Your second slab will be 10x as good as the first one. Concrete is easy, but everyone seems to make the same mistakes the first time around. You know what they say about concrete: "It's gray, and it is going to crack."
There's a couple of common things people do wrong. Getting the drainage and compaction correct on and under the slab depends on the surrounding ground and weather, so you are on your own there. But be sure to put in enough side support for the wood forms if they aren't backed up by the ground itself. Without enough support the concrete either bends it or blows out. Some folks don't put in enough expansion joints the first time with the result that the inevitable cracks happen where they didn't want them. Be sure to put in plenty of hog wire and have a rod with a hook on the end so you can pull the wire up into the center of the concrete. Leveling it out will probably turn into the easy part. Use a board with a 2x4 handle. Concrete should dry slowly. The slower the better. Soak it as soon as you can and then cover it with wet burlap and plastic and keep it wet for several days if you can.
good luck, rScotty

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #8  
In addition to the advice given by others, I will add that once the slab is poured and has hardened overnight, it will be stronger if you keep it wet for about a week, because concrete cures better when wet. One way to achieve this is to get some plastic sheet and cover the concrete after hosing it down.

How to Cure Concrete: 6 steps - wikiHow

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad?
Thanks Scotty. Actually I am contemplating a smaller project right now. I was debating whether to frame a 10x12 outside storage building foundation with wood or pour a concrete slab for the fundation. This shed is only a small workshop to keep my yard tool's, riding lawnmower and kid's motor cycle. The problem is it is way back in my back yard and I don't think I can get a concrete truck back there. Can I do something that size with bag concrete? I guess I could use the bucket on my tractor to carry concrete from the truck to the pad?

/ Can you estimate the cost of a concrete pad? #10  
Thanks Scotty. Actually I am contemplating a smaller project right now. I was debating whether to frame a 10x12 outside storage building foundation with wood or pour a concrete slab for the fundation. This shed is only a small workshop to keep my yard tool's, riding lawnmower and kid's motor cycle. The problem is it is way back in my back yard and I don't think I can get a concrete truck back there. Can I do something that size with bag concrete? I guess I could use the bucket on my tractor to carry concrete from the truck to the pad?

You could do it using bags of concrete but it would take a LOT of bags. If you can't get the truck to the pad, you can always use wheelbarrows to transfer the concrete from the truck to the pad. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not too bad if you have a few friends to take turns helping, but remember, once you start unloading the truck you can't stop until it's done.