Pole Barn Kit vs Plans

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #1  

Dougryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3206
Hi,
I'd like to build a large shed / small pole barn. There are lots of kits out there, but I'm not sure if it would be better to buy a kit or just get some plans and buy materials locally.

I currently have a 10x15 shelterlogic 'shed'. We just moved in and needed something quick to put a lawn tractor and other stuff in while we use the garage for unpacking and sorting boxes.

I'm thinking of a small pole barn 14' or 16' wide by 20' deep. Would like vinyl siding to match the house. Single 8'x8' roll up door and one 36" person door. Maybe a window or two.

There are some kits out there in that size range and I'm just starting to research my options. Thought that there's lots of barn building experience on this forum and that you might be able to help me get a head start on my research.

Thanks,
Doug

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #2  
I've built several small buildings on my property and, in my experience, you will get a much sturdier building for less money if you build it yourself. Check the materials carefully in the kits. The price may look great but you are apt to get "flimsy" materials.

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #3  
You've got a lot of options. Personally, I would design it myself and figure the list of materials needed. But if you don't have much design or construction experience, you could get plans first.

Check with your local building code department. On a building that size, you may be able to pour a floating slab of concrete and build studded walls on it.
I was able to do this for a similar size building a few years ago. When doing this, you dig the perimeter deeper to make the concrete thicker on the perimeter.

Or you can build it using pole construction.

Here's a link to a diagram that the City of Lansing puts out. While not plans, they do show somethings that you might find useful.

http://www.lansingmi.gov/Lansing/pnd/bldgsafety/docs/building_permits/garages.pdf

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #4  
Another advantage of buying the materials locally is you can just buy what you need and not have a large amount of material laying outside. These do-it-yourself projects can take a good while to complete, it's not good to leave some of this stuff exposed to the weather for long periods. I think if you watch for big box sales, or apply for a charge card when you buy the bulk of your material which saves you another decent percent, you can do just as well as the kit prices.

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #5  
I've been grappling with the same problem. I need a 2 car size shop and want a slab. I was going to go with a steel enclosed carport, but now I think I should do a pole barn (even though it will take me a LOT longer to finish)

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #6  
When I built my barn 2 years ago, I took my design to a local lumberyard that has a good reputation for pole barns and they drew up plans,blueprints, and a material list for me at no charge before I bought anything. You might find a local place that would do the same.

Will

/ Pole Barn Kit vs Plans #7  
Hello, I am currently building a pole barn and did go to my local lumber yard for prices. They will do drawings, put your material list together and deliver everything you need. I ended up going with a company that is also local that makes the steel for the siding and roof and it turned out that they get the lumber from my same local lumber company. Their prices were very close and this way I help out two local companies. If I didn't have the steel company close by I would have just used the local lumber yard as they were the best price I could find for the materials. Good luck to you

Darren