Long road to home.

/ Long road to home. #91  
I saw some panels at Home Depot today that they called FRP panels. Is that what you were thinking? It would certainly be alot quicker and cheaper.

That's the stuff, Marlite by trade name.
FRP (Fiber-Reinforced Plastic) Wall Panels: Marlite FRP wall systems decorative sanitary surfaces.

It's cheesy, but your money would be better spent on the new house. Another idea would be one of those ring-shaped shower curtain bars that are suspended from the ceiling. As long as there is plenty of hot water ... you can stay out of hot water with the ladies. Ha!

/ Long road to home.
A little up date, after two days of work on the bathroom the floor is leveled, new toilet in and works, roughed in plumbing for sink and shower, also framed up shower walls plumb and square. A big thanks to my wife's cousin for coming over and lending a hand, not that he is on here. I plan on checking the closeout areas of HD and Lowes for a shower valve, may even see what Mr. Seconds has. So far well under budget! I am going to use that FRP panel Dave was talking about. Almost forgot, ran all new waste lines in the basement. That was a pain. The bottom of the floor joists is only 62" off the mud floor and naturally the heat ducts ran right under the shower pan. I managed to get it done with out hitting my head or scraping knuckles too many times. My wife's cousin ran new PEX for the supply lines. That is some nice stuff, may have to get a PEX tool! Anyway , here are the pictures. I know how we all need pictures.

IMG_20130417_132016.jpg bath remodel 9.jpg

Hope you all enjoy!

/ Long road to home. #93  
You might check and see if Habitat for Humanity has an outlet store near you. A friend of mine told me he's made some good scores at their stores. He says that HD and Lowe's will donate old closeout stock they can't sell to HfH.

/ Long road to home.
I picked up a pressure balancing shower valve at HD the other day, less then $100. I picked up PEX to male thread 90's to hook it up with. Unfortunately I needed to get females, one more trip to HD. hope to work on it this weekend.

On a much better note, I have added one more project to the list of things to do this summer:

Monitor pole barn.jpg

50x40x12 with a 20x40 second floor in center.

Let me know what you all think of it!

/ Long road to home. #95  
I think I am just jealous. :laughing:

Other than that, I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. Some would rather see taller than 10' doors, especially in the center bay.

/ Long road to home.
I think I am just jealous. :laughing:

Other than that, I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. Some would rather see taller than 10' doors, especially in the center bay.

Dave, thanks, I have wanted a barn for as long as I can remember.

The original conception was for a 50x40x16 with two 14' OHDs to accommodate parking the camper inside. However, after much mind numbing thought :scratchchin: I decided I wanted to do 12' walls and add a second floor wood shop. I think this monitor style is going to give me the most floor space for the budget. After all the camper was designed to remain outside, and has been for 5 years already. Even with the 12' walls the overall height is just over 27'! I am really looking forward to starting this project. Thanks again for checking in. :)

/ Long road to home. #99  
Dave, thanks, I have wanted a barn for as long as I can remember.

The original conception was for a 50x40x16 with two 14' OHDs to accommodate parking the camper inside. However, after much mind numbing thought :scratchchin: I decided I wanted to do 12' walls and add a second floor wood shop. I think this monitor style is going to give me the most floor space for the budget. After all the camper was designed to remain outside, and has been for 5 years already. Even with the 12' walls the overall height is just over 27'! I am really looking forward to starting this project. Thanks again for checking in. :)

It's going to be nice!

I think your thought process is valid. A camper or full-size backhoe are the things I would consider for height beyond 10'. There are lots of other tall things of course, but as a trade-off to keeping the building height manageable and optimized for your intended use, it makes sense.

With 12' walls you can squeeze a taller ohd in by using the double track system, if you want to. You might end up with the ohd spring/shaft assembly sitting above the bottom of, but between the first and second, 2nd floor joists.

If you can leave enough room to service the shaft and springs, you can box that area in if you intend to insulate the floor of the second story shop. Or, you could also make access to the spring and shaft assembly from the second floor if you have some sort of trap door above them.

Looking forward to watching. Thanks for sharing.

/ Long road to home.
Dave,

I checked with the OHD company and was told even with the double track i still need 15" of clearance to accommodate the door and future opener. Plus the door would be an odd size, which of course means more money.