Long road to home.

/ Long road to home. #121  
Dang nice shop you have Ultrarunner! Thanks for sharing. I do like roll-ups for their compact nature. I was designing an outbuilding and intended to use roll-ups as they wouldn't obstruct the high bay lighting I was planning on using. Alas the outbuilding plans went down the tubes due to life having other ideas.

/ Long road to home. #122  
Wish it was mine... this was the property I tried to buy last year and someone beat me to the punch by getting their offer accepted the same day mine went it... I offered more too!

I keep in touch with the new owner and he knows I'm still very interested.

Funny thing is the property was just about perfect for me... the first thing the new owner did after throwing a party was gut the kitchen and pull up all the floors... he promised his wife if they moved he would make the new house just like the old one...

That shop is 40 x 88 with a large gable garage door on the end and 4 doors down the side...

I'm afraid it will always be the one that got away!!!

/ Long road to home.
Just a quick update today. I spread out and leveled seven loads of 2" minus gravel this weekend. I am within an inch on most of the post locations, elevation wise. I did order some more gravel to tidy up the pad around the edges. The left end wall posts are the only ones that need additional gravel to get grade set. They are supposed to bring three loads by tuesday afternoon. Then Thursday I am drilling holes.

As always, a couple pictures for everyone.

ForumRunner_20130512_155257.png

ForumRunner_20130512_155323.png

/ Long road to home.
While the girls were in cleaning some more in the kitchen I decided to hop on the lawn mower and re-mow the grass. I had cut it the day before and it came out really bad. Turned out the blades needed replacing, they had quite a nice smile to them, one any photographer would be proud of. I needed to get a new battery for it as well so off to Tractor Supply I went. $75 later I had me a running lawn mower that didn't need to be jumped to start and actually cut the grass. Fast forward ten minutes. Motor seemed like it bogged down for a few seconds then ran ok. I thought it was because the grass/weeds were a bit on the tall side, I was wrong. The motor started to run away and blow some smoke. Well by the time I got it shut down there was a "small" hole in it. So I recruited my 11 year old daughter to steer the lawn mower while I towed it back to the garage with the 5530. My wife thought that was hysterical. Here's what I found:

IMG_20130512_094334.jpg

:muttering:

I guess "small" might be an understatement. The mower is just over three years old. Not sure what happened, actually that's not entirely true. A better statement would be not sure which of the many "bad for it" things caused this. Changing the oil annually would certainly have helped. Not using it as a brush hog for the last three years to mow walking paths for the girls. Stalling it numerous times by hitting dirt piles, rocks, shrub balls, etc. all probably had a hand in its demise. Oil changes being the most important naturally. Bottom line, a new 22hp Cub Cadet at TSC is around 2k. So I went to a local small engine parts dealer today and found a "short block" for 630 out the door, should be in wednesday for me to pick up. I have never done a rebuild like this before, should be interesting. Sales lady says all internal parts are already installed and it comes with a gasket hit. I guess I will have to set the two motors next to each other and just swap stuff from the blown motor to the new block. I will definitely take a few pictures of the process.

/ Long road to home.
That shop is 40 x 88 with a large gable garage door on the end and 4 doors down the side...

I'm afraid it will always be the one that got away!!!

I have found that whenever I make that statement, it's usually true.

/ Long road to home. #126  
Let guess a Kolher Courage? Since when can't you use a lawn tractor as a brush hog?:laughing: Remember if it looks like lawn and your on the tractor you just run it over.

/ Long road to home. #127  
Sorry about your lawn mower, if it ain't one thing, it's another. I guess the "running away" was the crankshaft spinning down with no piston drag.

I could use a stump jumper on my lawnmower too. :laughing:

/ Long road to home.
Let guess a Kolher Courage? Since when can't you use a lawn tractor as a brush hog?:laughing: Remember if it looks like lawn and your on the tractor you just run it over.

My theory is "if you can drive over it, mow it!"

Yes, it was a Kohler Courage. At least it is new enough that they still make the same "spec" block for it.

/ Long road to home. #130  
Looking forward to the build pictures!