Long road to home.

/ Long road to home.
Spent the day raking the larger rocks off the top of the driveway and then used some topsoil to dress up the sides. I used the FEL to place the topsoil and raked it by hand. That took awhile. The stones I raked off the driveway first where taken out back to a wet area that is the access to our rear field and beyond.
Hope I'm not boring everyone!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120526_200045.png
    ForumRunner_20120526_200045.png
    556 KB · Views: 681
   / Long road to home. #22  
I am enjoying your posts. Like the pictures!

/ Long road to home. #23  
ENG18LT said:
Hope I'm not boring everyone!
Nope. I'm enjoying your story as it unfolds.
Obed

/ Long road to home.
I had 8 more loads of gravel brought in today, bringing the total to 16. The driveway is now 354' long. I was planning on ten loads today until I ran out of fabric :(. I have another 100'x50' section to complete and the driveway base will be done. Hoping to have it all set by the end of summer, been slow going as I am doing this out of pocket. I really do not want to use credit for this. The last load of the day I had to leave i a pile at the end of the drive until I can get to the supply house and pick up another roll of fabric, can't wait to see what that costs now. On the brighter side I did find an outfit that is saving me $45 a load on the bank run. Wife is getting excited about the project, or at least the idea of moving the camper closer to the home site and away from the road. Here are a couple of pics for you guys and gals.

Driveway 62012a.jpg
Driveway 62012b.jpg

/ Long road to home. #25  
I had 8 more loads of gravel brought in today, bringing the total to 16. The driveway is now 354' long. I was planning on ten loads today until I ran out of fabric :(. I have another 100'x50' section to complete and the driveway base will be done. Hoping to have it all set by the end of summer, been slow going as I am doing this out of pocket. I really do not want to use credit for this. The last load of the day I had to leave i a pile at the end of the drive until I can get to the supply house and pick up another roll of fabric, can't wait to see what that costs now. On the brighter side I did find an outfit that is saving me $45 a load on the bank run. Wife is getting excited about the project, or at least the idea of moving the camper closer to the home site and away from the road. Here are a couple of pics for you guys and gals.

View attachment 270940
View attachment 270941

Your photos are great, thanks for posting.

/ Long road to home. #26  
What kind of base dirt are you putting the gravel on? Are you trying to raise the road bed? 16 loads for a driveway 1/3 as long as mine seems like a lot of gravel.

I have a 900 ft driveway and only put 4 (might have been 6) loads of #57 gravel on it. The gravel was laid 2 years ago and seems to be doing well. I have a good clay base. I still need to put a couple loads of crush-n-run on top but want to fine-tune grade my driveway beforehand.

Also, I can't remember. Are you living in the camper or just use it for visiting the property? We lived onsite in our camper while we built our house.

Obed

/ Long road to home.
Obed, the base is what is called bank run gravel - exactly what it says. They scoop into the gravel bank and dump it into the truck, no screening, no washing. This stuff sets up like concrete. The only draw back is that you can get some big stones in it, I have had up to 18" stones. Most of the bank run is fines up to three's. The cost is significantly less (about 1/3) of crushed limestone. I am removing the 8-10" of topsoil, placing down fabric and then laying down 12-14" of bank run. Directly under the top soil is clay. In the spring you can not drive a vehicle back there because the top soil holds so much water it gets like driving on 3-4" of snot. Where the drive currently ends I will be removing only enough top to get to the clay then laying in the fabric/bank run. So, 354' long x 13' wide x 1' deep = 4602 cubic feet = 170 cubic yards = 11-12 truck loads + the 4 loads I needed to install the culvert last year = 16 loads. Between the 100'x50' section of driveway yet to do and what I need for the base of the pole barn, I am looking at another 18-20 loads. Sometimes I think I should just bury hundred dollar bills in the ground instead, it would be a lot quicker!:laughing:

The camper is where we stay when at the property, we live 2 hours east of it near Syracuse, NY.

Thanks for the interest in our little slice of heaven/money pit!

/ Long road to home. #28  
Looks great. You said that you are using fabric under the rock, what kind of fabric and why do you use it? Is it to keep the stone from sinking into the clay in the spring?
I need to put a drive in this summer, a little over 400' on sand. I was planning on 3 to 4" rock as a base and a crusher run on top. I didn't know a fabric was available, could I use it instead of the larger rock as a base? That could save a lot of digging and a lot of rock.
Thanks
Don. va3any

/ Long road to home.
Don, the fabric is what they call 4oz. Filter Fabric. It is used to stabilize the driveway by preventing the substrate from pumping up into the base material. As far as how much and what size aggregate to use will depend on your property's conditions and climate. Also you should consider how heavy the vehicles will be. Dump trucks and concrete trucks need a good stable road/driveway. The fabric is about $0.85 a linear foot (12.5 wide) and is 432' per roll. It is well worth using as it will extend the life of your road. I would use at least 10-12" of base or more depending on circumstances. Hopefully I helped out.

/ Long road to home. #30  
Thanks Lee,
Our climate is close to yours, the big difference is the soil. We have sand that you can drive on at any time of the year without problem. Our last farm was clay. In the spring a tractor could sink to the axles without warning. In the summer it was like concrete. The rest of the time it was ok.
I will look into the filter fabric and see where I can buy it around here. I have never installed a driveway before, only maintained them. So your posts are helpful to me.
Thanks again.
Don. va3any