Long road to home.

/ Long road to home.
Yeah, our place has some springs and they turn the ground to a squishy sponge. Most of the time it's ok but once I drive the tractor on it I get deep ruts. Usually by the end of May everything has dried up enough to get out with the tractor, although there are a couple spots that are going to need some tile work. Thanks for the replies!

/ Long road to home.
Spent the last couple days at the property. I took down about a dozen evergreens where the driveway is going to be extended. They where very shallow rooted, only 8-10" below the surface. I wonder if that is because the topsoil is only that deep then clay. I have at least that many more to go before I can start clearing off the top soil in preparation for more gravel. It's good to see this project moving forward though.

tree clearing.jpg

My wife spent a portion of time weeding around the plants in the garden. We have already had some snap peas and green beans harvested. There is nothing like fresh vegetables out of the garden!

garden 70312.jpg

/ Long road to home.
Here are some pictures of the last two days work on the property. I spent a good portion of time removing 20 or so evergreens from where the driveway is to go. I was very surprised at how easily they came out. The root systems where only 8-10" deep on all of them, of course below that is clay. The Mahindra 5530 did great, I may even go ahead and reward it with a bath, maybe.:) Here are a couple pictures from the days work.

Driveway clearing 2012-07-10 a.jpg

Driveway Clearing 2012-07-10 d.jpg

Driveway clearing 2012-07-10.jpg

Enjoy!

/ Long road to home. #34  
Great thread. Brings back memories of our transition from city to country. After building three homes in the city we looked for acreage to the west of town. After many refusals to sell we did find 25 acres with a pond within a couple miles . It was part of an old farm that had been sold in split sections. Although the border looks like a jig saw puzzle with interlocked privately held pieces it was beautiful at first site. At less than a grand an acre we could not wait to close and start a new piece of canvas. I owned a Farmall cub with a belly mower and a five foot sickle. Through many humps and holes I managed to get the weeds knocked down. One day while cutting I hear loggers. The neighbor to the south was having some trees cut and it seemed real close. They started on my property and were cutting south. Although they cut some beautiful large Pine and hardwood ( about 20 ) there was little a person could do as the timber trespass laws are so vague with no prosecution help one must summons them to court. At least I found them early and chased them away the back drop view from the house location was not disturbed. I drew up a plan and built our final retirement home which turned out great. Added a huge work shop, tools, cars, tractors, and a security dog. It was the best move we ever made.
If someone would have just given me this idea years back ..........
Your going to love it in the country . Land prices lately have crushed alot of dreams in my area. Everyday ads for " reasonable priced land " fill the papers and net.

/ Long road to home.
Agent Blue, my wife and I both grew up in the country but life has forced us into the rat race. We are looking forward to getting back to the country some day. Just when we start to get closer something always seems to come up. Would love to see some pictures of your place.

/ Long road to home.
Spent the last two days doing some more clearing for the driveway/pole barn. Took down another 9 trees and started to dish out the topsoil. It has been soo dry here that it is like dumping flour out of the bucket. That is until this evening, it poured for an hour and a half. So, I now have a 100' x 25' pond 1' deep where the driveway is going to go. I have no doubt that I will need to pump it out next week as there is no top soil for it to dissipate into, just bare clay. I should have taken a picture after the rain, but didn't have camera with me. Anyways here is a picture of the area before the rain.

Clearing 2012-07-13.jpg

/ Long road to home. #37  
So two years ago my wife and I bought 32 acres and decided to slowly improve it with a new house (replacing the old one on top of the road) behind the pond and a pole barn. The property has been neglected for a long time. We started by cleaning up the junk. Since we have been opening up the field where we want to build. This weekend was a big step for us, the first load of stone went down to start the driveway! We know it is going to take a long time before we are done but just getting the driveway started made my day. :D Here are a few pics of the driveway
ENG18LT, I just followed the link from your post on my thread. Looks like a great place and you are doing a lot of work. I'm doing about the same thing having bought 20 acres last year. We put an rv on it for a place to stay when we are there(its about 150 miles from were we live) the property has a 1 acre lake which i stocked last year with bass, catfish,and bluegill. I was able to put in food plots for deer last year and the garage and dock for lake this year. Keep up the great work.

/ Long road to home. #38  
I grew up in the country; my wife grew up in town. After many years in town, we bought a small house on 8 acres in the country and loved it. We were forever hooked.

/ Long road to home. #39  
My wife spent a portion of time weeding around the plants in the garden. We have already had some snap peas and green beans harvested. There is nothing like fresh vegetables out of the garden!

View attachment 271968
What is the purpose of the stakes and string around the perimeter of the garden?

/ Long road to home.
Believe it or not my wife put it up to keep the deer out, and it works! She has strung pie tins off it. We haven't had any animals in the garden all season. I laughed at her when she put it up, now she's the one laughing. Must be the motion of the pie tins they don't like.

Thanks for following my thread.