Long road to home.

/ Long road to home. #51  
I hope you stored that wire inside, is it copper or aluminum? Wire theft is on the rise. Nice looking property, is the house to bad to stay in? It looks like a trailer house? Nice job on you road.
You have to pay the power company to run power to your meter pole? Most install a pole within 100 feet and install a transformer, weatherhead and meter socket and its yours from there, then you go underground to your buildings.

Dave

/ Long road to home.
I've never heard of doing that. I'm curious to see how it goes for you. On my property, I can't imaging being able to "drive" a conduit through our hard red clay.

Obed

Obed, It is certainly not something that I am looking forward to. I will have to dig down 5-6' to get 1' below the culvert. We don't have red clay, but definitely clay, and a high water table. I have decided to wait for spring as I am running out of time this year, but will post pics and walkthrough of the process.

I hope you stored that wire inside, is it copper or aluminum? Wire theft is on the rise. Nice looking property, is the house to bad to stay in? It looks like a trailer house? Nice job on you road.
You have to pay the power company to run power to your meter pole? Most install a pole within 100 feet and install a transformer, weatherhead and meter socket and its yours from there, then you go underground to your buildings.

Dave

House would need a full rehab including foundation, thanks to local code enforcement/regulations that can't happen (too close to road).

The only pole that will be on the property is the one at the road facilitating bringing the power onto property from opposite side. After that it will be primary voltage to a ground transformer 320' back, then 10' of secondary to meter pedestal, then 90' to house. This setup will ensure adequate power and allow for additional feeders to outbuildings without going off house panel. Hope this explains it better.

/ Long road to home.
Just a quick update, still waiting on a final price from the power company. They did stake out the pole locations and sent me the paperwork for the easements required to set the poles. I am going to call this week and see if I can get a hold of the planner.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving!

/ Long road to home. #55  
I saw a picture of some "Meat" walking on your property! Nice!

/ Long road to home.
I saw a picture of some "Meat" walking on your property! Nice!

How about this one, camera caught it mid August:

1bucks.jpg

/ Long road to home.
Not much going on. We have ordered a survey of the property. Although it has been in the family for 90 years we decided to get it done while the weather was going to keep us from doing any real work. That and one of the relatives made the comment "there is a big gas main back there somewhere", crap. :shocked: I checked and don't see any of the tell tale plastic posts indicating any such pipeline. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing for sure with out getting the survey done. We did find a surveyor that did the properties on both sides of ours. He said between having just done those properties within the last 3 years and us having an updated abstract the cost won't be outrageously high. Most of the research is done so it won't be like he has to start from scratch, still going to be around 2k though.

Hope everyone had a good new year!

/ Long road to home. #59  
A survey won't tell you where the gas line is. Contact the local "call before digging" underground utilities hotline in your area. Just look in the phonebook or contact any of your local utility companies for the number. They (the "call here first group") will come out and mark all known underground utilities. If they don't mark it, you are not responsible for breaking it.

/ Long road to home.
A survey won't tell you where the gas line is. Contact the local "call before digging" underground utilities hotline in your area. Just look in the phonebook or contact any of your local utility companies for the number. They (the "call here first group") will come out and mark all known underground utilities. If they don't mark it, you are not responsible for breaking it.

Actually a survey will show the right of way IF there is a line there. And "call first" does not mark main transmission lines, only the distribution lines out by the road. If you do hit any utility utility, even if marked you are responsible. The markings are meant to indicate there is a buried utility within three feet of the flagging, and you are supposed to hand dig in that zone. So if you do any damage to a buried utility you are on the hook. Just because you call for a mark out does not relieve you of liability. This isn't my first rodeo.