Solar powered fence charger

/ Solar powered fence charger #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Looking for a solar powered fence charger I can move around the pasture when I put up temporary partitions during grazing season. Only need to charge about a mile of line, I'll be using wire rope, maybe some tape. Anyone have any brands they've been happy with, or suggestions on features, what to avoid, etc? tnx

/ Solar powered fence charger #2  
We've got a Parmak model 12, no troubles with it for about 2 1/2 years now.

/ Solar powered fence charger
   / Solar powered fence charger #5  
Sorry - wrong one.

The one I have is solar.

6V DC Solar-Pak Fence Energizer | Princess Auto

It remained outside in the snow/rain and cold and was charged(needle went beyond the green zone in the meter) when I turned it on.

A buddy has the same manufacturer but his is 12v and charges a car battery but it didn't hold a charge well when the wire got grounded. When the needle goes in the red you know something is grounding out the unit. I used mine last year to fence in two pigs. When feeding I would check meter and correct fence line problems/grounding if need be. After correcting, the needle would go back into the green - worst case - needle would be in middle of green zone. Even with a few cloudy days it would work/charge. I put it on a post with s'east direction as recommended in the instructions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Solar powered fence charger #7  

Attachments

• solar_pak_12.jpg
    solar_pak_12.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 70
   / Solar powered fence charger #8  
A buddy has the same manufacturer but his is 12v and charges a car battery but it didn't hold a charge well when the wire got grounded. When the needle goes in the red you know something is grounding out the unit. I used mine last year to fence in two pigs. When feeding I would check meter and correct fence line problems/grounding if need be. After correcting the needle would go back into the green - worst case - needle would be in middle of green zone.

Yes that meter does serve a purpose. If I let the grass and weeds get tall enough to touch the fence, and there's a dewey morning, the meter will drop into the yellow or red letting you know something's not right.

Ours is on 24/7/365.

/ Solar powered fence charger #9  
Yes that meter does serve a purpose. If I let the grass and weeds get tall enough to touch the fence, and there's a dewey morning, the meter will drop into the yellow or red letting you know something's not right.

Ours is on 24/7/365.

Correct. I used my whipper-snipper to keep the grass down and would removed branches and rocks that the pigs would push onto the lower strand of wire. Clever them pigs!