Moved my biggest rock today...

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
I dug this boulder up years ago, but was unable to move it on a sled because the ground was too tore up for traction after I finally wrestled it up out of the ground. Whole project was done with heavy nylon straps, wood cribbing, and chains, with a sled made out of part of an old fuel oil tank. Finally moved it today up where you can see it down in the little valley. Going to put rocks around it and plant White pines in the back.... Good workout for my old John Deere. Anywhilst, this was this mornings project....

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #2  
I dug this boulder up years ago, but was unable to move it on a sled because the ground was too tore up for traction after I finally wrestled it up out of the ground. Whole project was done with heavy nylon straps, wood cribbing, and chains, with a sled made out of part of an old fuel oil tank. Finally moved it today up where you can see it down in the little valley. Going to put rocks around it and plant White pines in the back.... Good workout for my old John Deere. Anywhilst, this was this mornings project....

You needed to get the Mahindra and JD working together on that one, see if they could lift it together! Good work, wish I could find one that size to fish out.

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #3  
261341d1334769319-moved-my-biggest-rock-today-dscn0110-large-.jpg

Looks like you left it on the road. :)

Bruce

/ Moved my biggest rock today...
You needed to get the Mahindra and JD working together on that one, see if they could lift it together! Good work, wish I could find one that size to fish out.

I actually made the first 'lift' with the Mahindra, using the base of the forks by the pivot point to start to roll the rock enough that I could get some 6by6 cribing just under one edge. Then I chikened out and got the old JD to do the rest. Never know when you are flipping something if a strap or chain will slip/break... and all that shinny freshly waxed red paint needed to be set on the side. I have moved quite a bit of heavy stuff with the JD and boom, and it is really easier with the two wheel drive and power steering to horse stuff around. :)

Bruce, the road is to the right... old logging road, but I have LOTS of them.... :)

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #6  
What's the lift capacity on that JD? I've been wrestling with some big rocks myself (and losing about 50% of the time since my property appears to be filled with about 6" of topsoil and then car sized boulders). I like that lift setup, so might try and copy it. So far I've either been using the BH, FEL or 3pt arms with chains or a carry all to move the bigger rocks, but the 3pt maxes out at ~1200 lbs and the FEL at 1k, so lifting capacity is pretty limited for granite. I like your sled as well, looks like it works well.

What's the lift capacity on that JD? I've been wrestling with some big rocks myself (and losing about 50% of the time since my property appears to be filled with about 6" of topsoil and then car sized boulders). I like that lift setup, so might try and copy it. So far I've either been using the BH, FEL or 3pt arms with chains or a carry all to move the bigger rocks, but the 3pt maxes out at ~1200 lbs and the FEL at 1k, so lifting capacity is pretty limited for granite. I like your sled as well, looks like it works well.

I think the 3pt is good for a little over a ton a couple feet back from the bottom pins. I know the 3pt has no problem picking the front end off the ground. You are not really picking the rock up, but by hitching the weight close to the drawbar as possible the weight of the rock is put more on the rear tires as you pull for traction. If you put a couple holes in the rear of the sled you can pick up some of the weight from the rear with the 3pt with the boom. But either you get real handy at steering with your brakes [ I have been two wheeling for years], or you have to leave a little weight on the front to be able to steer. The rear holes and chains also help keep the load on the sled and force the boulder to stay up at the front of the sled closer to the drawbar.

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #8  
I pulled up some massive boulders when building my barn. My JD870 was no match for them and i had to bring in a case 850 dozer from the rental yard.

The pics dont make them look to large, but the tractor couldnt budge them. i also brought in an excavator to make a planter out of them when the pile got too large. I had to photoshop my address off the sign on the planter.......the wife insisted hehe.

Also added lights for nice night view.

Attachments

• gunner on rock.jpg
    gunner on rock.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 307
  • PA231505.JPG
    PA231505.JPG
    695.4 KB · Views: 249
  • PA231509.JPG
    PA231509.JPG
    665.1 KB · Views: 232
  • PA221497.JPG
    PA221497.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 208
  • PA231499.JPG
    PA231499.JPG
    702.9 KB · Views: 190
  • PA231501.JPG
    PA231501.JPG
    673.8 KB · Views: 160
  • PA231504.JPG
    PA231504.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 202
  • rock 4.jpg
    rock 4.jpg
    563.9 KB · Views: 190
  • planter with address wiped out.jpg
    planter with address wiped out.jpg
    868.2 KB · Views: 245
  • night view.jpg
    night view.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 223
Nice picture, and NICE rocks... Big rocks are FUN...... FUN.... !!!!!! [ at least, after you are done moving them, that is.... :) ]

/ Moved my biggest rock today... #10  
Nice picture, and NICE rocks... Big rocks are FUN...... FUN.... !!!!!! [ at least, after you are done moving them, that is.... :) ]

ya, i was going to dig a large hole and bury them, but my wife came up with the planter idea. i wish i could take the credit, cause it sure looks nice.

who would have thought i would ever pay someone to stack rocks.