Really need some guidance.

/ Really need some guidance. #1  

flatpik6

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Mahindra 5035, 2013 JD X738
Hello folks. Here's my dilema:

I recently had cleared a few additional acres of heavily wooded area on my property in the mountains of Western NC. The guy who cleared it for me used a large track how and essentially picked, plucked and pushed over everything except for about 2 dozen nice hardwoods that I wanted to leave standing.

Of course we are still working through a couple of huge burn piles and I just keep plugging away at them during the weekends when I am up there from my home in FL. I go about every other weekend.

The intent for the clearing is that we want to see it for grass/hay but NOT for ornamental grass. Not building a lawn per se, just wanted better visibility than was offered with the heavy woods.

Once the clearing was finished I am left with a ton of broken roots protruding up through the ground and no idea as to the best method and tool for getting the roots either cut down or pulled up so I can smooth things out and get on to seeding.

I sold my Kubota tractor with Box Blade, Straight Blade, Bush Hog and Back Hoe and now have a new Mahindra 5035 that I only have 10 hours on. The only attachment I have other then the FEL is a very stout grapple and this is clearly not the right tool for this application. I am trying to decide which implement to purchase in order to get this root project taken care of but one that I can also use in the future. My initial thought is to go with another bush hog and just cut them very low. Since I left a couple dozen trees spaced around the acrease, it's really not feasible to try and RIP the roots out because I think they may either damage roots from the remaining trees or simply be too toght to rip out.

My other thought was to try something like a ratchet rake although I just don't think it will handle these difficult roots that are left over from the clearing. How does everyone else handle this once you have done the rough clearing?

/ Really need some guidance. #2  
I would mow with a bush hog, then hit it with a heavy disc to chop up what it left.

Aaron Z

/ Really need some guidance. #3  
Hog and a disk. The heavier the disk (that you can handle) the better.

--->Paul

/ Really need some guidance. #4  
^ these guys nailed it. I am following the same process. But you might have to wait until next year for the disc to be very effective (for the roots to decay somewhat).

/ Really need some guidance.
Thanks for the replies. Since I will rarely use a disk, I'll just rent one from the local place in Murphy and go ahead and purchase the Bush Hog that I will use frequently.

Since the rough clearing was done last July, I would think I am good to go ahead and work on chopping up the roots anytime now.

This really helps.