Tractor
    2011 Mahindra 5035, 2013 JD X738

Default Really need some guidance.

Hello folks. Here's my dilema:

I recently had cleared a few additional acres of heavily wooded area on my property in the mountains of Western NC. The guy who cleared it for me used a large track how and essentially picked, plucked and pushed over everything except for about 2 dozen nice hardwoods that I wanted to leave standing.

Of course we are still working through a couple of huge burn piles and I just keep plugging away at them during the weekends when I am up there from my home in FL. I go about every other weekend.

The intent for the clearing is that we want to see it for grass/hay but NOT for ornamental grass. Not building a lawn per se, just wanted better visibility than was offered with the heavy woods.

Once the clearing was finished I am left with a ton of broken roots protruding up through the ground and no idea as to the best method and tool for getting the roots either cut down or pulled up so I can smooth things out and get on to seeding.

I sold my kubota tractor with Box Blade, Straight Blade, Bush Hog and Back Hoe and now have a new Mahindra 5035 that I only have 10 hours on. The only attachment I have other then the FEL is a very stout grapple and this is clearly not the right tool for this application. I am trying to decide which implement to purchase in order to get this root project taken care of but one that I can also use in the future. My initial thought is to go with another bush hog and just cut them very low. Since I left a couple dozen trees spaced around the acrease, it's really not feasible to try and RIP the roots out because I think they may either damage roots from the remaining trees or simply be too toght to rip out.

My other thought was to try something like a ratchet rake although I just don't think it will handle these difficult roots that are left over from the clearing. How does everyone else handle this once you have done the rough clearing?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Really need some guidance.

I would mow with a bush hog, then hit it with a heavy disc to chop up what it left.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 960, 7700, TW20, 1720; IHC H, 300; Ollie S77

Hog and a disk. The heavier the disk (that you can handle) the better.

--->Paul

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7305

^ these guys nailed it. I am following the same process. But you might have to wait until next year for the disc to be very effective (for the roots to decay somewhat).

Tractor
    2011 Mahindra 5035, 2013 JD X738

Thanks for the replies. Since I will rarely use a disk, I'll just rent one from the local place in Murphy and go ahead and purchase the Bush Hog that I will use frequently.

Since the rough clearing was done last July, I would think I am good to go ahead and work on chopping up the roots anytime now.

This really helps.