My poor work bench

/ My poor work bench #1  

robs660

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B20
2 Weeks ago, my wife held a charity yard sale at our home for Big Brother Big Sister. It was all donated items and everyone that helped were volunteers. I was kicked out of my garage for 2 weeks before the sale and i will get it back completely this Friday. After everyone had left and finished cleaning up on Sunday I realized my work bench had been turned into a lunch table and a place for everyone to rest their drinks. My bench is 10G cold rolled steel with a back splash and front lip so moisture is not my friend. You can see the damage done in the first few photos. I did some research and found that I could address the areas back to almost new with a wire wheel in my grinder, and a whole lot of WD40. I spent the better part of 45 minutes using the wire wheel to get all of the rust up and get the surface back in shape. After I was done I applied 2 coats of paste wax to protect it during the humid spring. I have had to clean the bench many times and never needed more then a scotch brits pad and a little WD40. Knowing what I learned today, I will be making a cover for my bench like the one I have for my table saw and band saw tables.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 414
   / My poor work bench #2  
Nice repair.

/ My poor work bench #3  
That workshop is wayyyy too tidy! I reckon I would even be able to see the floor.:D

My workshop is just that, for working in. This usually involves moving stuff to get a clear area before starting.

Cleaning gets done once or twice a year.

Surely I am not alone in being a worksop slob??

Weedpharma

/ My poor work bench
I do too many repairs with little parts so I have to keep it clean. That's not to say that my other shop isn't a disaster! It also ends up looking quite bad after I start 3 projects at the same time

/ My poor work bench #5  
My benches looked that clean for an hour or so after I built them. Typically, they look like this.:laughing:

Attachments

• Copper Remnants.jpg
    Copper Remnants.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Shop 2009.JPG
    Shop 2009.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 381
   / My poor work bench #6  
You would hate my work bench under the shed. Its steel and rain drips on it and blows onto it. I just wipe it with an oily rag if i have something i dont want to much rust on. But even if it was covered i would just run a wire wheel on it and oil it. Not much use if you have to keep every bit of rust off. I sometimes take apart wet things, like radiators waterpumps, etc.

And if i have something that cant get a bit of grime on it like a bearing or a barb part, i just put a rag down on the bench.

/ My poor work bench #7  
I was wondering about the doll bust on the shelf!

/ My poor work bench #8  
I would be considered a "work bench slob" also.

I constantly have 3 or more projects going at once on the bench. And most of the stuff I need to work on the current project is at least 2 projects deep in the pile.

Actually.......... My best, most sturdy work bench is an old Steel Case brand office desk. Oh well.......

Enjoy

/ My poor work bench #9  
I am a parts/hardware hoarder. My biggest issue is storing parts, nails, screws, hinges, etc so I can find them later. Part of the bench is always covered with cans of parts.

I accumulate nails and screws left over from projects in a large 5 gal bucket. When it's full, any mis-behavin' grandkids get to sort it into containers. Best system I've found.

/ My poor work bench #10  
May I suggest you rebuild a small engine on your wife's kitchen counter-tops, and :D at her when she asks what and why you are doing such a thing. If that doesn't cure her of messing up your garage, nothing will. :laughing: