Round Pen for Horses

/ Round Pen for Horses
My question begins with what is the purpose of this 80 foot, as you call it, "Round Pen"?
If it is really to be used as a "training ring" for horses where you plan to do ground training on a lounge line, free lounge training without a line, and saddle training for leads, turns, backing, cut backs, etc, you may find it to be too big.
If you are working with untrained young horses you will find that a ring beyond 50' in diameter, particularly for the ground training parts gives them control over you instead of you over them. Not a good way to start a horse because it is much harder to untrain bad habits to retrain good ones than it is to start out correctly at first.
We have a 40' round pen she uses for developing control with a lunge line. But we have a new young horse that has been quite a handful and it's helped being able to run him in a larger circle that's easier on the legs. It's also a way to give our older horse some exercise without having to ride her. I'm not the horse person, so I don't claim to understand the details. But I know all the neighbors are already over using it, so it must be useful for something.

If you are thinking about training you might want to consider killing the grass, at least around the circle next to the insides of the gates and trying to level it by filling any holes, etc. Sprained ankles and pulled tendons on a horse from stepping in a hole at a trot or canter can lay them up for some time.

I've spread wood chips around the outside, they're free and it's easy footing for the horses. We lock them in the round pen for a few hours and they eat the grass down to nothing. She's got an area where there's no grass to teach tricks, otherwise it's hard to keep their head out of the grass.

/ Round Pen for Horses #22  
yep.. i've never had to 'kill grass' in a round pen.. the horses do that for themselves!

/ Round Pen for Horses #23  
yep.. i've never had to 'kill grass' in a round pen.. the horses do that for themselves!

Soundguy
He further explained his set up above. The round 80 foot pen is primarily for for the horses to run around on their own.
He has another 40' ring that is used for actual training by his wife which gives her control with a 20 foot line or buggy whip.
The 40 foot circle is probably more level and may be the one he has the wood chips in since none show in the pictures of his 80' pen. As long as the chips aren't slippery she's good to go.

/ Round Pen for Horses #24  
again.. in any round, training or exercise or holding or oblong pen.. I've yet to ever have to 'kill' grass.

animal predation and traffic takes care of it. ;)

/ Round Pen for Horses #25  
again.. in any round, training or exercise or holding or oblong pen.. I've yet to ever have to 'kill' grass.

animal predation and traffic takes care of it. ;)

Heck my "temporary" pasture grass is a consistent 3/16th's of an inch tall. except for the stuff they won't eat, and their routine trail routes (where there is NOTHING).

I can't imagine anything growing in the round pen (someday when I have one). :D

David

/ Round Pen for Horses #26  
Heck my "temporary" pasture grass is a consistent 3/16th's of an inch tall. except for the stuff they won't eat, and their routine trail routes (where there is NOTHING).

I can't imagine anything growing in the round pen (someday when I have one). :D

David

David
Your pasture is too small for your number of horses if the grass is only 3/16th's tall. Do they look skinny? Is there any sign of a fat crease down the middle of their backs?
The stuff they won't eat is probably where they poop but if they get too hungry they will eat that too or break your fence and find more to eat elsewhere.
Look at Beez post #17 pictures in this thread.
What is that green stuff inside his 80' pen/ring?
It's a lot higher than 3/16th's.

/ Round Pen for Horses #27  
Have seen clamps 2 pieces with hole in the middle for cariage head and wing nuts , 1 set at top and 1 set at bottom , worked rather well . Think it was on 6' x 10' dog panels..

/ Round Pen for Horses
Have seen clamps 2 pieces with hole in the middle for cariage head and wing nuts , 1 set at top and 1 set at bottom , worked rather well . Think it was on 6' x 10' dog panels..

Yes, that's where I got these clamps, they're made for dog kennels. They're a little unusual being for 1-5/8" diameter pipe, most are for 1-3/8".

/ Round Pen for Horses #29  
David
Your pasture is too small for your number of horses if the grass is only 3/16th's tall. Do they look skinny? Is there any sign of a fat crease down the middle of their backs?
The stuff they won't eat is probably where they poop but if they get too hungry they will eat that too or break your fence and find more to eat elsewhere.
Look at Beez post #17 pictures in this thread.
What is that green stuff inside his 80' pen/ring?
It's a lot higher than 3/16th's.

Ron,

They get 3 guarts of Purina Challenge each, and as much as a half bale of hay daily. PLUS they eat the grass daily. It is longer than 3/16th's, but not much. It is like a green carpet. They are NOT easy keepers. Harley is FAT, Lolly is less so, but they are both greedyguts...

I will be enlargening the temporary pasture by moving the electric fence out in a couple spots and giving them more grazing area. I am also going to build a night pasture w/ run-in shed and a second pasture soon...

I'm taking good care of my horses sir. Honest. :thumbsup:

David

/ Round Pen for Horses #30  
Ron,

They get 3 guarts of Purina Challenge each, and as much as a half bale of hay daily. PLUS they eat the grass daily. It is longer than 3/16th's, but not much. It is like a green carpet. They are NOT easy keepers. Harley is FAT, Lolly is less so, but they are both greedyguts...

I will be enlargening the temporary pasture by moving the electric fence out in a couple spots and giving them more grazing area. I am also going to build a night pasture w/ run-in shed and a second pasture soon...

I'm taking good care of my horses sir. Honest. :thumbsup:

David

David,
I know you take good care of your horses:thumbsup:
As I recall, they were rescue horses and you and/or your wife worked in that venue for awhile.
I just had to mouth off:laughing: when you called dirt painted green a pasture.
And when you dreamed of a bare dirt riding ring up here in the north kept that way by just horse activity. If it were, you'd be riding in a poop pen rather than a training ring.
You, Beez, and all northerners know our environment for controlling grass and weeds is much different than Florida.
The last time I was down there, mid 70's, they hadn't even discovered grass yet:D