Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel?

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #1  

teveritt

Tractor
2007 John Deere 2305
I'm looking at building a 40'W x60'L x 16'H building and am wondering whether anyone has experience with the pros and cons of a wood frame pole barn compared to a pre-engineered all-steel building? In both cases, I would have a concrete floor poured. It looks like the concrete would be more expesive for a steel building due to footing requirements. However, the steel seems to be easier to assemble yourself and you don't have to worry about insect or water damage plus you get full height with a clear span steel building. A big concern is condensation since I'll be storing a camper, truck, tractor, and farm equipment in the building. Certainly wouldn't want them rusting which is why I'm building the barn in the first place.

Anybody have any feedback on this?

Thanks in advance!

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #2  
I built a wooden pole barn, 30x40x12, using a kit. I chose wood b/c i was more familiar with the building technique. While it does have trusses that get in the way sometimes, i've found it easier to customize it after it was completed. I poured the floor after the build was finished. Then I installed a loft using my last 2 trusses at the rear. If you're having it built, go with the best price and quality for the money.

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #3  
Anybody have any feedback on this?

You can get metal trusses that sit on top of the poles and have brackets built right in for the purlins. If clear span is the main issue, that would allow you to have a large clear span with a relatively light truss, gives you good head room because they don't have a bottom chord, and use wood to frame the rest.

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #5  
I really like steel construction.

Here are some pix of my project. I started with a 48 X 60 steel frame with a 12 foot extension to get 60 X 60. Then added a 14 X 14 roof section in front for an entry porch. I finished it out as a two bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home with a 700 sq ft back porch. The garage portion is about about 30 x 36.

My puppy sleeping in my pocket during a break in the action.

Attachments

• 167mixz.jpg
    167mixz.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 598
  • DSC09415.JPG
    DSC09415.JPG
    892.4 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC09421.JPG
    DSC09421.JPG
    846.7 KB · Views: 611
  • DSC00497.JPG
    DSC00497.JPG
    834.2 KB · Views: 556
  • DSC00548.jpg
    DSC00548.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 745
   / Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #6  
Raspy, who did you go with? What was the cost of the kit? How did the "crane" work to put up trusses? I was thinking about something similar. Looking at putting up a 60' span x 15' high, will need to lift center about 20' off ground.

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #7  
I bought a Skytrak to do the project. It's the perfect tool for setting the trusses in place, standing up the end walls and for doing the roof. I built a work platform for it and was able to take up the purlins and a couple of guys to set them, then the roof sheathing and the packs of shingles. Next will be the solar panels. The vertical posts were all set with my tractor and the rig in the previous set of pictures. It's just a simple A frame, set in the bucket and held with chains.

My steel was built by Miracle Steel. Unfortunately, they went out of business by expanding right before the crash. But the steel is top quality and a lot of it will be exposed in the house. I love the trusses.

I went with rigid box bracing instead of diagonal wire bracing to allow windows and an unobstructed back porch. Then I sheeted the whole structure with 5/8" OSB and that made it far more rigid than the original design. The seismic and wind load design gets transformed when you sheet the roof and the walls, and add interior framing. What was once designed to be wires under tension and rigid horizontal box stiffeners, etc, with a little bit of
"spring" or "flex", becomes very solid with the 5/8' sheeting and the roof membrane of 7/8" OSB. The roof can't peel off starting with the eves because they are made of steel structures bolted to the maim posts. Extremely strong and won't sag over time.

The roof was originally designed to be metal directly on the purlins, but I put two layers of 7/16" OSB and then a composition roof. This allows a very tight structure and a way to insulate with R38. It also allowed the installation of bolted down solar brackets and foot traffic.

The exterior is Hardie plank concrete for fire protection and a long maintenance free life.

The exterior is done except for the front door which I am building from box steel and glass block. The inside is all framed and being wired.

Going with steel is such a great way to do this because it allows any interior design you want. All interior walls are partition walls and you can have vaulted ceilings or anything you can imagine. I also added a window seat by building a steel frame outside the perimeter.

The "boxiness" of a steel building is overcome, when transformed into a house, by the addition of steel overhang kits, extended roof purlins for eves, the steel entry structure, the back porch extension and the window seat.

Attachments

• DSC09413.JPG
    DSC09413.JPG
    867.6 KB · Views: 968
Last edited:
   / Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #8  
I'm looking at Rhino buildings out of Dallas TX area. Would love to find a SkyTrak, but at about $10000+ can't justify it for one project. But I know I'd find more if I had one, but 10 grand on the cheap end is still a lot.

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel? #9  
My vote is for steel :D

May I suggest Heritage buildings, which is where I work :D:D

Steel Buildings | Metal Buildings | Storage Buildings | HeritageBuildings.com
(877) 293-4215

Been around since '79, will be here for many years to come.

I manage engineering/drafting. Our customer service is second to none and I will personally oversee your project if you let me know that you ordered from us.

/ Timber Frame vs Pre-Engineered Steel?
OK, seems like about equal for both types of construction. Thanks everyone for the replies. I thought an all metal building would be easier to put up, but it sounds like they're about equal. It's really based on what you're familiar with.

I've heard that the concrete for an all-steel building is more expensive because you basically pour a concrete slab for timber frame construction, whereas you need more of a foundation for a steel building. Is that correct? A steel building needs piers for the metal columns and footings between the columns?

I like the idea of metal since it withstands insects, water, warping, twisting, splitting...but, if I use #1 yellow pine treated wouldn't it be almost as good?

Raspy, I like that radiant floor heating you put in. That's not a bad idea for the winters here in VA where I could use an outdoor wood stove to heat the water...hmmmm