Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kabota 7500DT

Default Road prep for asphalt road millings ?

I have a ranch road maybe 7 years old made of kolechee-type roadbase around Austin, TX that has developed some ruts maybe 3 and some cases 5 inches deep relative to the center or crown of the road.
    I have an incredible opportunity to purchase asphalt road grindings or millings from a state highway to resurface my road.
    Can somebody tell me how important it is to prep the existing road in some fashion like grading it before applying the asphalt grindings ? Or could I just put the asphalt grindings on top of my road as-is and then roll it.
    If I have to do prep work it may be a show stopper, as they must deliver the stuff this Friday as they tear the highway up, which probably wouldn't give me time to do any prep work.
    So please give me a sense of how absolutely necessary it would be to level the existing road bed and/or roll it or do any other prep.
    I'm sure in an ideal world that would be desirable. But I'd hate to miss out on this stuff which is $1.10 a linear foot 10 feet wide by 4-5 inches including being laid out along my 2000 foot road by a belly-load 18 wheeler. And dumping it in a pile so I can prep and then spread the ashpalt is NOT and option as I don't have the equipment and it would take me forever. Them laying it out on the road is a big advantage to me and another show stopper if they must just dump it in piles to give me time to do any prep.
    Thanks for any advice !
    Farmer Bob
    Kubota 7500DST w/FEL,box blade,posthole digger,brush hog

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Quote Originally Posted by bcarwell
    I have a ranch road maybe 7 years old made of kolechee-type roadbase around Austin, TX that has developed some ruts maybe 3 and some cases 5 inches deep relative to the center or crown of the road.
    I have an incredible opportunity to purchase asphalt road grindings or millings from a state highway to resurface my road.
    Can somebody tell me how important it is to prep the existing road in some fashion like grading it before applying the asphalt grindings ? Or could I just put the asphalt grindings on top of my road as-is and then roll it.
    If I have to do prep work it may be a show stopper, as they must deliver the stuff this Friday as they tear the highway up, which probably wouldn't give me time to do any prep work.
    So please give me a sense of how absolutely necessary it would be to level the existing road bed and/or roll it or do any other prep.
    I'm sure in an ideal world that would be desirable. But I'd hate to miss out on this stuff which is $1.10 a linear foot 10 feet wide by 4-5 inches including being laid out along my 2000 foot road by a belly-load 18 wheeler. And dumping it in a pile so I can prep and then spread the ashpalt is NOT and option as I don't have the equipment and it would take me forever. Them laying it out on the road is a big advantage to me and another show stopper if they must just dump it in piles to give me time to do any prep.
    Thanks for any advice !
    It is very important to prep your road by leveling and crowning it. Otherwise you will have cracks and splitting/spreading. Do it right!

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Default Re: Road prep for asphalt road millings ?

Today is tuesday! Thats 3evenings to put your box blade on and start dragging it. I would knock down the center 1st and then try angling the box some how to the center and work on the sides! If you can get a land plane that would be even better.
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Tractor
    MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab

Agreed, boxblade it and develop the crown, then drive on it to compact it best you can.

Neighbour took the opportunity to do his drive with millings from a local runway. Did all the prep work, rolled it and sealed it afterwards, that was 8years ago and it's still in excellent shape.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jd 2520

At that price,if you dont have the time to prep the road,hire someone to prep it. Dont miss out of saving thousands by trying to save a few hundred.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Quote Originally Posted by hizoot
    At that price,if you dont have the time to prep the road,hire someone to prep it. Dont miss out of saving thousands by trying to save a few hundred.
    Agreed, hire someone with a road patrol who will rework your road and make it into a good base. You won't regret it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kabota 7500DT

Thanks all for the quick and helpful advice ! I'll start box blading today !
    Farmer Bob
    Kubota 7500DST w/FEL,box blade,posthole digger,brush hog

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

Take Lots of Pictures!
    Before and During and After!

and

Happy ing!
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

you have a tractor with a FEL and you have a box blade. whats the problem? what other equipoment do you need? *scratches head* you have something to move material, and you have a way to shape / crown the road.

about only thing i could think of, is added weight on box blade. to help box blade do its job better. and perhaps a little more weight on rear end, to help counter balance FEL when you have a full bucket of material.

even if they gotta dump the stuff in piles. ya it may take a 2 to 3 weekends to get everything preped, and then placed were it needs to go, and then everything else to get it done. but. *shrugs*
    Ryan

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

But don't leave he millings sit too long or they'll set up.